Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh ISIS scanner drivers

Good afternoon!

I've been asked for Ricoh scanner drivers compatible with ISIS (Image and Scanner Interface Specifications - no relation with goat fuckers).

I can't find any mention of it on the Ricoh homepage, but I've read somewhere that TWAIN drivers could be compatible.

Can someone shed me some light on this?

Thanks.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Ricoh ISIS scanner drivers

The only ISIS drivers I remember were for the old scanner only devices. For the MFP's I don't think you're going to have much luck. You could try the TWAIN drivers but they will only work with 32-bit applications. The WIA drivers may work as well, but you'll probably also need WSD turned on for the scanner function.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Virtually all document scanners support both the TWAIN and ISIS driver standards. TWAIN is more common and is usually the only driver provided with consumer scanner models. ISIS provides a more standardized interface for high-speed scanners, and is often required to scan at the scanners rated speed. "High Speed" scanner are those capable of speeds near or above 100 ppm and often utilize vacuum pick paper feed. They are usually used by data storage services and are often part of a packaged system.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Virtually all document scanners support both the TWAIN and ISIS driver standards. TWAIN is more common and is usually the only driver provided with consumer scanner models. ISIS provides a more standardized interface for high-speed scanners, and is often required to scan at the scanners rated speed. "High Speed" scanner are those capable of speeds near or above 100 ppm and often utilize vacuum pick paper feed. They are usually used by data storage services and are often part of a packaged system.
    So how do I apply this knowledge to a customer with an MPC3004?
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    So how do I apply this knowledge to a customer with an MPC3004?
    You tell them the truth. The TWAIN driver that comes on the driver disk with the MP C3004 is able to utilize ALL the speed and functionality of the C3004. If they want to do OCR scanning and find it too slow, because it is, they need to get an OCR conversion software. The processor of the computer can do pages per minutes as opposed to the minutes per page that a MFP can do.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Sorry, I couldn't resist....

ISIS.jpg

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Even if you did find an ISIS driver that connected (which is anything but likely), it would absolutely NOT be supported.

Most MFP manufacturers don't offer ISIS support. It's all TWAIN.

Dedicated scanners, on the other hand, almost always offer both.

I don't think I've ever seen any network-connected ISIS scanner; they've always been USB, SCSI, or even FireWire. Most if not all MFPs only scan via a network connection. I remember the old Canon GP series, that actually did have ISIS drivers (no TWAIN), but it was a SCSI2 connection, and it was a very pricey option at that.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Even if you did find an ISIS driver that connected (which is anything but likely), it would absolutely NOT be supported.

Most MFP manufacturers don't offer ISIS support. It's all TWAIN.

Dedicated scanners, on the other hand, almost always offer both.

I don't think I've ever seen any network-connected ISIS scanner; they've always been USB, SCSI, or even FireWire. Most if not all MFPs only scan via a network connection. I remember the old Canon GP series, that actually did have ISIS drivers (no TWAIN), but it was a SCSI2 connection, and it was a very pricey option at that.
    This is what I have seen also.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I remember an old analog Gestetner, Ricoh, that had a scan option using SCSI2. You had to use a specific Adaptec interface board and then pray it would work.