Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Windows 11 is Here

The Start menu can be moved back to the left in settings. For high resolution displays past 22 inches it actually makes sense in the middle of the display as it's easier to access. I have a copy of it on a VM and when using my office 4k monitors it's much easier to access from the middle of the screen as opposed to having to go all the way over to the lower corner of the display.

Most of my office equipment doesn't support the processor requirements, but even before 11 was announced I had planned hardware refreshes in 2022. Windows 10 still has a good four years of support left. In the last two or three years most of our equipment budget has gone to server and storage upgrades.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Windows 11 is Here

I bought a Dell Lattitude 7490 from Ebay. It has Windows 11 Pro. It arrived about an hour ago. I briefly played around with it. It's not that much different. The first thing that I noticed is that This PC isn't on the start menu. I did find it under File Explorer.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I bought a Dell Lattitude 7490 from Ebay. It has Windows 11 Pro. It arrived about an hour ago. I briefly played around with it. It's not that much different. The first thing that I noticed is that This PC isn't on the start menu. I did find it under File Explorer.
    I'm not a huge fan of keeping things on the Desktop, but you can also get a shortcut there by right clicking on an empty part of the Desktop and selecting Personalize then selecting Themes from the menu and then look for the shortcut for Desktop icon settings.

For anyone complaining about the Start Menu being in the middle of the display: try using Windows on a 24" or larger display at 2k or 4k resolution: it's a lot faster getting to it in the middle of the screen, or even faster by just using the Windows key.

Make sure with that 7490 you either replace the drive in it, or make sure that you apply any firmware updates for it. I've seen plenty of this model with flaky drives.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Windows 11 is Here

You can upgrade to Windows 11 here should your PC meet the right HW specifications.

Download Windows 11
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Windows 11 is Here

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of keeping things on the Desktop, but you can also get a shortcut there by right clicking on an empty part of the Desktop and selecting Personalize then selecting Themes from the menu and then look for the shortcut for Desktop icon settings.
    I have had the laptop I am currently using for a couple of months. It came with Windows 10, 20H1 if I remember. It also did not have My PC or This PC on the desktop. Did a Yahoo search to find out about using Personalize instead of creatring a shortcut.

For anyone complaining about the Start Menu being in the middle of the display: try using Windows on a 24" or larger display at 2k or 4k resolution: it's a lot faster getting to it in the middle of the screen, or even faster by just using the Windows key.
    With a 17" laptop you get used to the centered taskbar very quickly. I tried Taskbar settings but since I use Classic Shell whose Start button stays at the lower left corner the left most Icon was fully hidden behind the Classic Shell Start button and the one next to it was partially hidden.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Windows 11 is Here

Any idea if a Win 10 computer can communicate with a Win 11 computer using Quick Assist?

One would hope yes.

It's also easy enough to move the Start Menu back to the left through Settings.

My only Win 11 machine right now is a VM so I've kept it as close to base config as possible since I mainly snapshot it, test what I need to and then roll back to the snapshot. I probably won't look at moving to it until my next hardware refresh since a lot of my equipment won't support the processor requirements and by the time Windows 10 goes EOL the current equipment will be ready to dump anyway.

There's a few ThinkPads in my future next year that will happily run Windows 11. Besides, I still have a pile of CentOS 8 machines for customers to migrate before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Any idea if a Win 10 computer can communicate with a Win 11 computer using Quick Assist?

One would hope yes.
    No reason they wouldn't. It's still just NT under the hood.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Windows 11 is Here

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    This should help with a myriad of vulnerabilities in Windows in the future.