Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Windows 11 is Here

Re: Windows 11 is Here

The next major Windows update, known widely as Sun Valley, is expected to debut in October 2021. Microsoft is planning to unveil the next generation of Windows, and the teaser appears to suggest that a "Windows 11" could be announced.

Why Windows 11 doesn't (yet) exist

While there are several reasons why Microsoft hasn't yet made a, and it all comes back to "Windows as a Service." This is Microsoft's way of making sure Windows 10 remains the latest version of Windows. Instead of releasing a fresh version of the OS every three or six years with new features and changes, the company will instead constantly update Windows 10 with those incremental updates instead.
    This keeps everything clean and simple but does result in somewhat more boring OS updates, rather than Microsoft launching one big update every few years. The last handful of Windows 10 feature updates have been relatively minor with little changes, tweaking smaller aspects of the experience, rather than changing the look and feel of the OS.
    With that in mind, Microsoft could still ship a Windows 11 while maintaining its "Windows as a Service" promise. Windows 11 could just be the name of the next Windows 10 feature update, delivered in the exact same way as previous Windows 10 feature updates have been. It would be free, seamless, and easy to install.

screw bill gates and his crap OS's.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-11

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Still trying to figure out how Gates gets blamed for what Microsoft does when he hasn't had any role in the company in years. Might as well blame Steve Wozniack for what Apple does.

Windows 11 likely won't be a free upgrade from Windows 10 as there appear to be some limiting factors in terms of install, namely TPM 2.0 and secure boot. With so many Windows 7 era machines upgraded to 10 it makes sense to use a newer OS to start cleaning up legacy features that won't be coming back. Even the Have Disk feature for driver installs now defaults to D: instead of A: in Win 11. The 2025 EOL for Windows 10 should see most upgraded hardware through to the end of its usable life and most Windows 10 equipment may either need upgrades to components or may have some compatibility shims put in place.

Also, as much as there have been reports based on the Windows 11 ISO that's been leaked, there's no real way to tell how old the build is or how close it is to the RTM version. I remember the preview builds of 7, 8, and 10 that all ended up quite different than the final release editions as menus were cleaned up and test features were added and removed from one version to the next.

I'm more interested at this point of test driving Server 2022, which has an official preview ISO available from Microsoft.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Is this suppose to fix all the bugs in Windows 10?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Windows 11 is Here

As I understood there will now only be Windows 10 with MS bringing out feature updates/improvements.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    As I understood there will now only be Windows 10 with MS bringing out feature updates/improvements.

They did say that, but at the same time the Support Lifecycle site showed an end of support date of 2025 for Windows 10, putting it in cadence with all other OS versions.

My thinking is as they started to try and peel back the layers of compatibility built into the NT kernel it became easier to just build out a clean version as opposed to trying to pull out all of the existing strands. ARM processors are becoming more mainstream, and this move could also allow Windows better support for the platform since there's no need to re-write legacy instructions into something that ARM doesn't support. It could also give the OS the opportunity to be even more platform agnostic instead of completely different codebases for different processor types.

Fun fact: What Microsoft released as XP Service Pack 2 was originally intended to be an entirely new OS replacing XP. Instead, they opted to just release it as a huge service pack.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Windows 11 is Here

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    Is this suppose to fix all the bugs in Windows 10?
    YES, but I am not looking forward to a new group of bugs in WIN11.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Windows 11 is Here

Heres hoping SMB1 is non existant in windows 11..... I hate reboot wednesdays.

JC

Version 11 of Windows is similar to version 10. The LTSC version of Windows is a special version of Windows with long-term support. With LTSC versions of Windows (formerly called LTSB - Branch), Microsoft prioritizes system stability. The lifecycle of 10 LTSC is 10 years (5 years basic and 5 years extended support if you have a contract). This means that Microsoft will support Windows 10 until 2028 (extended support for Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC for 5 years is possible only if the company participates in the Software Assurance program). But you need an activation key and you get all the applications plus additional features to assist this version.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Windows 11 is Here

Windows is now being rolled out. If you have a Windows 10 computer with compatible hardware it should be offered to you as a features update for download and install through Windows Update. I installed on my laptop yesterday. Things I noticed was on the initial Windows screen before the login the date and time are now top center. When the login prompt came up it was black instead of white.

On to the desktop. I use Classic Shell which replaces Microsoft's start menu, which hate, with one that has the look of that used on older versions of Windows. It setup up fine on Windows 11. Apparently Microsoft has decided that they like things center justified. All the pinned and loaded applications are now centered on the taskbar, including a Microsoft start button that allows you to launch all your Microsoft apps.