Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Flash Based Training Websites

Hey guys it's been a little while since I stopped in but I'm not dead!

To the topic at hand, I'm sure some of you have noticed that since Flash was discontinued MANY of the online training courses are even less functional than they used to be. I'm specifically referring to Kyocera and HP's learning resources since that's what I have access to although I'm sure this is true of any brands that were using Flash based courses.

So my question is twofold, first off did I miss a memo with a workaround or solution to this? And second, if I didn't miss a memo is there some sort of plan for them moving forward? I find it hard to believe that they are all just going to leave them to disrepair, surely a complete lack of online training material hurts their number of trainees?

I am specifically looking for solutions\workarounds\alternatives for Kyo and HP resources but I'm also curious to see how\if other brands are handling this. It really feels like we should have been getting memos and transitionary information in the 6 months leading up to the death of flash, how can not one but two of the biggest names in this business appear to be so lethargic in their solution to this? Is there some piece of this equation I'm missing?

Side note, wasn't sure where to post this so I went with connectivity because.... Well it made more sense than technical discussion in my mind and isn't really about business discussion so this is where I landed.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Flash Based Training Websites

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    Hey guys it's been a little while since I stopped in but I'm not dead!

To the topic at hand, I'm sure some of you have noticed that since Flash was discontinued MANY of the online training courses are even less functional than they used to be. I'm specifically referring to Kyocera and HP's learning resources since that's what I have access to although I'm sure this is true of any brands that were using Flash based courses.

So my question is twofold, first off did I miss a memo with a workaround or solution to this? And second, if I didn't miss a memo is there some sort of plan for them moving forward? I find it hard to believe that they are all just going to leave them to disrepair, surely a complete lack of online training material hurts their number of trainees?

I am specifically looking for solutions\workarounds\alternatives for Kyo and HP resources but I'm also curious to see how\if other brands are handling this. It really feels like we should have been getting memos and transitionary information in the 6 months leading up to the death of flash, how can not one but two of the biggest names in this business appear to be so lethargic in their solution to this? Is there some piece of this equation I'm missing?

Side note, wasn't sure where to post this so I went with connectivity because.... Well it made more sense than technical discussion in my mind and isn't really about business discussion so this is where I landed.
    Kyo and HP aren’t the only ones in this situation.

I doubt that any “mature” material will be updated. New content will be adjusted going forward.

There are workarounds if you are willing to install an older version of Firefox and make a few extra mouse clicks when accessing a site that requires it.

I did a Ricoh software training last month and had to do just that.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for the response Ken. That is kind of the assumption I was going with to be honest. Although that said surely they have to update\renew some of the 'mature material'? I understand if they ignore outdated equipment or software but what about all of the basics courses? There are plenty of those that aren't reliant on any specific model\software and will still be perfectly relevant. The one's that come to mind are things like color and copy theory or basic connectivity training. I'm still very much a new tech and without access to some of these materials I'm kind of at a loss as to how to keep cementing this info in my skull. I guess I'll harass my boss about getting me sent off to the schools or classes but I've got several hours at a desk every day to spend as I see fit and with a distinct lack of things to do studying is about as productive as I can be. Losing my mind over here.

You may want to check this out.

It’s still beta, but you don’t need an old version of Firefox.

Note that I’ve not tried this myself, as I just found it.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...zilla-firefox/
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Due to demand, a standalone flash player available to play .swf files. Here are a couple of sites that have it.
    Adobe Flash Player - Download
    Download Adobe Flash Player 32.0.0.465 for Windows - Filehippo.com

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Not a big fan of installing EOL browsers or plugins, especially from third-party sites when there are much better options available.

Adobe still offers their developer tool Adobe Flash Projector, which will allow you to view Flash content without using a browser.

You can download the Projector here: Adobe Flash Player - Debug Downloads

It's a standalone application, just open it, and then Choose open and enter the path of the file or site you're trying to view.

There's also the open source app Ruffle, which is a separate implementation of Flash: Ruffle | Flash Player emulator written in the Rust programming language

Or even a rougher emulator like Lightspark: Lightspark

For just plain swf files, you can play those in something like VLC (there's not much it won't play).

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Not a big fan of installing EOL browsers or plugins, especially from third-party sites when there are much better options available.

Adobe still offers their developer tool Adobe Flash Projector, which will allow you to view Flash content without using a browser.

It's a standalone application, just open it, and then Choose open and enter the path of the file or site you're trying to view.

There's also the open source app Ruffle, which is a separate implementation of Flash: Ruffle | Flash Player emulator written in the Rust programming language

For just plain swf files, you can play those in something like VLC (there's not much it won't play).
    I have been using the flash player I posted about for the swf files I have. I might give VLC a try. Just did, same problem I had with real player and everything I have tried until I found the flash player, audio plays fine but video flashes through all frames in about 2 seconds.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I don't know what Pro like you have to do with mostly copier techs forum but I'm all ear and eye whenever you post. Seems unthinkable happen and copier tech and IT professional merged successfully
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I have been using the flash player I posted about for the swf files I have. I might give VLC a try. Just did, same problem I had with real player and everything I have tried until I found the flash player, audio plays fine but video flashes through all frames in about 2 seconds.
    Try the Projector since it was originally made as a debug tool for Flash devs. VLC can have an issue with Flash files depending on how the media potion is encoded.

Ruffle was what the link in my first pointed to. Sorry I didn’t label it better.