Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Print Spooler Stops every few hours

Hey fellas,

Here come's another one,
    after sorting out the SLNX scan issue, we are being told by the client that Print spooler services are being '' stop'' once in few hours on server.
    They have to manually start the service to resume printing.

Event log doesn't lead to anything .
    We have told them to reinstall the secure print drivee and see if that fix the issue.

have anyone encountered this in past ?

Regard's

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Print Spooler Stops every few hours

Re: Print Spooler Stops every few hours

If you server is getting critical Microsoft updates, it should be fixed by now.
    Microsoft Warns of Critical Vulnerability Called ‘PrintNightmare’
    Windows Update Print Spooler

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

What version is the Server?

I agree with Slim, though.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Had something similar on a Server 2008 print server years ago. Had to turn on driver isolation for a few printers so that if a corrupted job was submitted it would just affect those particular queues as opposed to taking down the entire service. The main cause turned out to be jobs from an old NT system that ran a diagnostic application that would print reports and not send a complete job end command in the PJL. Nothing like a system built to work with serial or parallel printers trying to use network printers.

Along with everyone else's ideas, it could also be that some 'helpful' admin created a scheduled task to stop the print spooler because of Printnightmare without taking into account that the server may be hosting printers.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Hi rthonpm

Thanks for detailed response,

Actually it all started after implementing SLNX , we have replaced the driver from PCL 6 universal v4 to PLC 6 but this didn't help either, server resources have also been increased cores and Memory, event viewer doesn't direct to anywhere, Server OS is 2016.

PS: Only secure print driver is installed because all the machine models are similar MP 5055 and that i guess rules out the drive isolation option. ( your input please ).

All the pc's are part of domain with same OS win 10 on them and share same hardware specification.

Regard's

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Had something similar on a Server 2008 print server years ago. Had to turn on driver isolation for a few printers so that if a corrupted job was submitted it would just affect those particular queues as opposed to taking down the entire service. The main cause turned out to be jobs from an old NT system that ran a diagnostic application that would print reports and not send a complete job end command in the PJL. Nothing like a system built to work with serial or parallel printers trying to use network printers.

Along with everyone else's ideas, it could also be that some 'helpful' admin created a scheduled task to stop the print spooler because of Printnightmare without taking into account that the server may be hosting printers.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fbkhan3; 07-25-2021 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    What version is the Server?

I agree with Slim, though.
    Server version 2016 it is, something is getting bottlenecked i guess like job queues and makes it disable.

Regard's

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you server is getting critical Microsoft updates, it should be fixed by now.
    Microsoft Warns of Critical Vulnerability Called ‘PrintNightmare’
    Windows Update Print Spooler
    Thanks Slim for valuable input but issue remains the same after update, its corporate account and everything is up to mark in-terms of hardware and OS with all the necessary security protocols.

Regard's

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Is the spooler stopping at predictable intervals, such as the same time(s) every day? If so, that would suggest some automated process is shutting it down.

If not, check the SLNX log to see which user printed last. It could be that a user has a corrupt job or driver install that’s causing the spooler to hang. I had that happen once with a Fiery; one user insisted on printing from CorelDRAW, and his driver was very poorly configured. Each time he printed, it crashed the RIP.
    Last edited by KenB; 07-25-2021 at 11:40 PM.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

After confirmation from client they had to manually restart the print spooler services every morning, so that i guess has to do something with time interval base as you mentioned , what i suggested them to do is keep it, startup type ''Manual'' for few days and see if that makes any difference, in print spooler properties , Recovery, first failure, Second failure and subsequent failures are selected as '' Restart the Service'' . first it was select as ''Take no Action.

lets see if that resolves the issue.

Regard's

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Had one of those clients who's dedicated network security team is monitoring all activities on the server. Their software instantly flags the print service and automatically stops it. Maybe the same case as yours.
    Aye! Cut the crap