Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Driver WindowsServer2019, noob question

Is there a big difference between the drivers WindowsServer2012 and Version 2019? I know how to work with TCP/IP stuff and to install drivers for our MFP's but regarding Server I am a complete noob.

A large customer of mine has in his office modern MFP's all connected to the company network Windows Server2019 managed by his IT guys.
    His private residence in near distance is connected to the office network. He has in his home an old BH-240f (Muratec) he wants to hook up to the office network. Since his wife loves the old machine and is not much willing to get a more modern MFP in their home, his IT is trying to let the BH-240f work inside the Server2019 environment. KM is not having drivers newer than Server 2012 and IT is not able to get the machine to print with them.

When hooked up locally directly Notebook>LAN>BH240f the little beast prints very good with any of the greatest but NOT latest drivers such as W8-64. Are there any known workarounds to let this old machine work with old Server or other drivers in a modern W-Server2019 environment?

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Driver WindowsServer2019, noob question

I've got piles of model specific drivers that were for Windows 7 working happily on Server 2019 print servers.

Overall, it sounds like a routing issue between the customer's home and the internal network. The office should be able to ping the printer and hit the web interface, if it has one, to confirm connectivity.

This just sounds like a giant disaster waiting to happen with a home network connected to a business one.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    I've got piles of model specific drivers that were for Windows 7 working happily on Server 2019 print servers.

Overall, it sounds like a routing issue between the customer's home and the internal network. The office should be able to ping the printer and hit the web interface, if it has one, to confirm connectivity.

This just sounds like a giant disaster waiting to happen with a home network connected to a business one.

Yep

Print with the driver that works.
    Local printers should stay local, why try to share it?
    If their IT cannot figure VPN routing you probably won't.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks guys, that is exactly what I hoped to hear. So IT should do their best trying to find a solution.
    I had the feeling that basically it should be possible with some extra input from the IT blokes and their standard reply "The Machine Is Too Old" seems not always a valid argument.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Thanks guys, that is exactly what I hoped to hear. So IT should do their best trying to find a solution.
    I had the feeling that basically it should be possible with some extra input from the IT blokes and their standard reply "The Machine Is Too Old" seems not always a valid argument.

Hans
    In a way, it is a valid argument in that it's a more politically correct way of saying 'We don't want your unmanaged home equipment touching our network'.