Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silent Print Driver Install

Hi

Has anyone converted a print driver setup file into a silent exe or msi before?
    Sharp don't have any silent print driver packages for there new range of machines (mx5071/3071 etc)

I know how to run and deploy the package silently but the software itself still pops up with the setup wizard, (both msi and exe fail to work silently)

Is there anything out there where I can build the package or convert the driver exe into a silent install

Thanks
    stef

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: Silent Print Driver Install

Is there a reason the driver install is a secret? Many people here get paid doing this and want to be seen doing it, so pardon me if I question your motives.

You don't even mention an OS or network environment.

My spider sense is telling me you are barking up the wrong tree.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

In my (limited) experience with Sharp, their driver installers aren't really installers as much as extractors. Take the file, extract the contents with 7-Zip and then take the exe you get inside of the contents and try installing that silently. You can also try to see if any msi or exe supports a silent install through an elevated command prompt: enter the path and file name and add the flag /?

I'm not really impressed with their drivers of late.

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    Is there a reason the driver install is a secret? Many people here get paid doing this and want to be seen doing it, so pardon me if I question your motives.

You don't even mention an OS or network environment.

My spider sense is telling me you are barking up the wrong tree.
    Often, it's to be able to distribute the driver remotely, or to build it out as part of a script.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Often, it's to be able to distribute the driver remotely, or to build it out as part of a script.
    I wasn't looking to make assumptions, or receive them. What part of a guy with 1 post makes you think he is legit?

Anyone with experience can imagine why, and like me could come up with 2-3 ways to do this depending on environment.

However I do not casually share information which can be used for malicious intent, nor do I assume this persons motives.

Have we so soon forgotten the PewDiePie hack?

rthonpm is right for what i need it for, one of my customers has point and print setup on a large network whereby the latest microsoft update has forced many of the clients to require elevated privileges to install the driver
    what I'd like to do is push out the driver as silent install via intune but the driver package itself needs to be silent for it to work

nothing nefarious just never needed to post before

its a windows environment and I have gone through the elevated commands to run it as a silent install and it does skip part of the installer but still shows the sharp add printer interface

Sharp have confirmed that there isn't a silent driver package so I was wondering if there is anything out there that would allow me to create it from the exe or even package of the driver files in exe of my own?

thanks for responses

Try a Unidriver

Try this:

Install the driver on a single computer, then from an elevated command prompt run: pnputil -e, which will list all of the third-party drivers on the computer. Look for the Sharp driver and the Published name Windows gives it (it will be something like oem1).

Then change the directory to something like C:\temp and run pnputil /export-driver oem1.inf . (You need the . after the command to tell it to export the driver into the directory).

Copy the contents of the folder to somewhere your script can pull it, and then in your script to install, run pnputil /add-driver (location of file)\drivername.inf

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Silent Print Driver Install

Quote Originally Posted by Slr10008 View Post
    rthonpm is right for what i need it for, one of my customers has point and print setup on a large network whereby the latest microsoft update has forced many of the clients to require elevated privileges to install the driver
    what I'd like to do is push out the driver as silent install via intune but the driver package itself needs to be silent for it to work

nothing nefarious just never needed to post before

its a windows environment and I have gone through the elevated commands to run it as a silent install and it does skip part of the installer but still shows the sharp add printer interface

Sharp have confirmed that there isn't a silent driver package so I was wondering if there is anything out there that would allow me to create it from the exe or even package of the driver files in exe of my own?

thanks for responses
    If the customer has a large network do they have any Windows servers? Can they load the drivers on the server and let Group Policy push the drivers out? Updated and new drivers will be install when a computer is restarted or there are commands that can be ran from the Start Menu.