Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    RJ45 Pass Through Connectors

Over the past several months I've made a lot of ethernet cables and I've gotten pretty good at putting on the RJ-45 connectors but it's still a pain in the ass and it's very easy to cross one of the wires without knowing and having to cut off the end and start over from scratch.

Someone told me about Pass Through Connectors so I ordered some. (I'm waiting on them to come in.)

Anyone use before? Thoughts?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: RJ45 Pass Through Connectors

They work OK, I've used them in the past they normally need a special crimp tool. I've gone back to using standard when I make cables now. We do a few wireless bridges between buildings, part of this is running cables and terminating. How many cables are you making? I used to make batch cables then I looked at how much time/ cost most of the time the cables are around 2-3 metres I pay $ $2.20 AUD per 2M cable and $2.40 AUD for 3m it would take me 2mins to get a make a cable and I'd have to have a box of Cat6 in the car.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I got something similar to this from Home Depot. Quick & easy to check any cable for correct wiring. I've used it to find intermittent network wiring, and mis-wired crimp connectors:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/iMBAPrice...SellerId=18470

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by clint@clintsimonsen.com View Post
    They work OK, I've used them in the past they normally need a special crimp tool. I've gone back to using standard when I make cables now. We do a few wireless bridges between buildings, part of this is running cables and terminating. How many cables are you making? I used to make batch cables then I looked at how much time/ cost most of the time the cables are around 2-3 metres I pay $ $2.20 AUD per 2M cable and $2.40 AUD for 3m it would take me 2mins to get a make a cable and I'd have to have a box of Cat6 in the car.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

I've lost count but currently I have to make 25 or so cables for PC install in a classroom. Just looking for an easier way.

blackcat,

Yes, I have a tester.

PS - I always test my cables before using but I've done so many recently I can almost tell if it's right or not from the "feel" of the wires sliding in the connector. If its right, they usually slide in very smoothly with no resistance...most of the time.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Great idea, and I may look at picking up some of these for my longer CAT6 runs.

Like most people, I just buy my cables since it's generally cheaper and faster. You can pick up piles of cables for almost nothing on Monoprice or Amazon and have them on-hand.

I'm re-wiring my entire network room and the two dozen or so 2 or 3 feet cables I need came out to less than 70 cents a piece. Even the longer runs were stupid cheap.

Unless you're wiring keystones, it's less hassle to buy and keep a bin or six of cables on-hand. It sounds like part of your task is a learning exercise, which generally just teaches you to get someone else to do the cables.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

These are some of the cables I had to make and run when we moved into our new office. This is only the front of the house where the security system is and a few other things...like an audio controller that allows us to set up music zones throughout the building. In other words, we have ceiling speakers in different parts of the building and the volume is controlled independently for each zone.

See below: ( I know it's a mess. )

network t1.jpg

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have a LanScaper kit that I got when I was in Iraq in 2005. It came with 8 numbered remotes. The screen on the main unit displayed the number of the remote and the wiring of each end. When doing a new install you could put a remote at up to 8 location and identify them at the distribution panel. Could also test patch cables. No longer available but NOYAFA may have something similar.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Over the past several months I've made a lot of ethernet cables and I've gotten pretty good at putting on the RJ-45 connectors but it's still a pain in the ass and it's very easy to cross one of the wires without knowing and having to cut off the end and start over from scratch.

Someone told me about Pass Through Connectors so I ordered some. (I'm waiting on them to come in.)

Anyone use before? Thoughts?

I've seen those in youtube. Looks very easy when checking before crimping.

For me. I never use those.

I always use original commscope amp rj-45 connectors and cables (cat5e). The gold contacts quality are great compared non-brand rj-45.
    I believe the contacts quality and cable quality will determine the connection stability.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

+One thing to pay attention to when getting the material to make your own patch cords whether it be CAT5 or CAT6, Make sure that the connectors are for the same type of conductor as the cable you are going to use. The more flexible cable has stranded conductors. The ends for them have points that pierce directly into the conductor giving full contact. Solid conductor leads tend to roll to one side causing poor contact. The ends for solid conductor cable are designed to go down both sides of the conductor.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    +One thing to pay attention to when getting the material to make your own patch cords whether it be CAT5 or CAT6, Make sure that the connectors are for the same type of conductor as the cable you are going to use. The more flexible cable has stranded conductors. The ends for them have points that pierce directly into the conductor giving full contact. Solid conductor leads tend to roll to one side causing poor contact. The ends for solid conductor cable are designed to go down both sides of the conductor.
    Very good information, slim.

I've also noticed that the better quality brands of Cat 5 & 6 cable uses more dye in their wires and it's easier to see the colors. Some of the cheaper wire have very light colors making it difficult to see in the connector.