Technician

Microsoft security updates

Microsoft security updates
    i AM FINDING THAT MY CLIENT IS BEING AFFECTED BY THE LATEST MICROSOFT SECURITY UPDATES ON WINDOWS 10.
    WHEN KB5006670 IS AUTOMATICALLY UPDATED IT TAKES PRINTING OUT, TROUBLE IS IN WINDOWS 10 YOU CAN PAUSE UPDATES FOR 35 DAYS ONCE YOU HAVE REMOVED THE SAID UPDATE BUT THEN IT COMES BACK AGAIN.
    ONCE MICROSOFT BRING OUT A PROPER FIX THEN THIS WILL BE RESOLVED, OTHERWISE MY CLIENTS IT DESKTOP SUPPORT ARE LOOKING FOR WORK AROUNDS WHICH IS NOT IDEAL.
    HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS,IF SO DID YOUFIND A WORKABLE FIX?
    THIS IS ON A SERVER BASED QUEUE USING PAPER CUT.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Microsoft security updates

The only printing related issues for this KB are related to IPP printing. Are the printers configured to use a standard TCP/IP port or an IPP/IPPS port on the server?

October 12, 2021—KB5006670 (OS Builds 19041.1288, 19042.1288, and 19043.1288)

Delaying the update by 35 days will be an appropriate workaround because updates for Windows 10 are cumulative so once the November updates are released on the 9th the October update won't be offered any longer as it will be superseded by the November one.

If your customer is large enough to have on-prem servers and a desktop support team they're also likely large enough for WSUS or some other centrally managed update system where they can manage what updates get distributed to their systems. It also makes it a lot easier to know what machines are getting patched and what machines are having issues with patching.

Technician

Re: Microsoft security updates

Hi Rthonpm, thank you for your help on this one.

You mentioned,Are the printers configured to use a standard TCP/IP port or an IPP/IPPS port on the server?

I am not sure, as my remote network team control all this side of things from Head office and have never been able to give me the time to explain how the infrastructure works.

As an old fashioned copier engineer who try,s to understand networking, it is all a bit of a mine field for me!

If I do find out any more I will update this post, many thanks