Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    start a windows service minimized

    n25an's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    miami, florida
    Posts
    1,022
    Rep Power
    42

    start a windows service minimized

    Open the Windows Task Manager

    Get to the service tab

    move down to the service list... figure out what you want...

    click services on bottom right

    in services screen

    right click on service

    now... I am stuck...

    I am trying to set it persistently to start minimized...

    need to know what parameter to put in to get service to start minimized...
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

  2. #2
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    83

    Re: start a windows service minimized

    Command line? net start %servicename%

    What service are you trying to start? Minimised makes little sense since most services are background processes.

  3. #3
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    start a windows service minimized

    n25an's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    miami, florida
    Posts
    1,022
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: start a windows service minimized

    Is there a list somewhere online of parameters that I can use in that parameters box in service...
    Just need a little guidance... cause I am not able to find anything...
    and I am thinking you guys might know of a list of parameters somewhere online...
    as for me... I haven't found anything like that yet...
    still searching though...

    as for the service... that will come later... right now just trying todo "a proof of concept" for my boss...
    in life its always good to have options...

    now that you suggested most services start minimized... that begs the question... where do I find the settings for starting a service minimized... since its most and not all...

    in other words, where do I edit... ???

    I don't want to start a service manually... minimized I want it to start automatically minimized and I am just looking for a lead on that pursuit...

    Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Command line? net start %servicename%

    What service are you trying to start? Minimised makes little sense since most services are background processes.
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

  4. #4
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    83

    Re: start a windows service minimized

    The main command line parameters are net start and net stop.

    It sounds like you're trying to do something more than just a service, which is a background process. It sounds like you're trying to also launch an application as well, which should be separate from the service itself. The application should require the service to be running, but the service shouldn't require the application to be running.

    Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Retired 10,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    17,734
    Rep Power
    506

    Re: start a windows service minimized

    Quote Originally Posted by n25an View Post
    Open the Windows Task Manager

    Get to the service tab

    move down to the service list... figure out what you want...

    click services on bottom right

    in services screen

    right click on service

    now... I am stuck...

    I am trying to set it persistently to start minimized...

    need to know what parameter to put in to get service to start minimized...
    You may need to run as an Administer even if you are logged in with a name that has admin rights.

    Once you are in Task Manager - Services, right click on a service and click on Services from there. You will window that gives you a lot more options and information. You also have 2 bottom tab for Standard service and Extended Mode services. Extended mode services are for Background application like Background Intelligent Transfer.

  6. #6
    Retired 10,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    17,734
    Rep Power
    506

    Re: start a windows service minimized

    Quote Originally Posted by n25an View Post
    Is there a list somewhere online of parameters that I can use in that parameters box in service...
    Just need a little guidance... cause I am not able to find anything...
    and I am thinking you guys might know of a list of parameters somewhere online...
    as for me... I haven't found anything like that yet...
    still searching though..
    Why noit just use Windows builtin help. As an example, from the command line you can type Net Help and it will give you a list of available net commands. If you type Net Help followed by one of those commands it will givwe you all the information on the command. You can do the same with other commands like xcopy. You can even type just help at the command prompt and get a list of other commands. If you really want to go online start with Microsoft Support. Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

  7. #7
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    start a windows service minimized

    n25an's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    miami, florida
    Posts
    1,022
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: start a windows service minimized

    thank you...

    Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Why noit just use Windows builtin help. As an example, from the command line you can type Net Help and it will give you a list of available net commands. If you type Net Help followed by one of those commands it will givwe you all the information on the command. You can do the same with other commands like xcopy. You can even type just help at the command prompt and get a list of other commands. If you really want to go online start with Microsoft Support. Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

  8. #8
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    83

    Re: start a windows service minimized

    Looking this over again, I'm convinced that you're trying to minimise an application that acts as a GUI to a service. You don't interact with a service: you interact with an application that either manages or controls the service in some way. What you can do is either see if the application has the option in its settings to start minimised or just create a shortcut to the application and right click on it and under Properties, select the Shortcut tab and change the Run option to the Minimized instead of normal window.

    Screenshot 2021-11-05 144003.jpg

    To get the application to start this was on login, get to a run command by either clicking the Windows key and R or right clicking on the Start Menu icon. Then type shell:startup and copy the shortcut to the window that opens. Log off and log back on and see if it works as expected.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here