Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SC899 on Ricohs

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: SC899 on Ricohs

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Keeping ALL firmware up to date all of the time seems to take care of the SC899's.
    As crazy as it may sound, this includes Java, if so equipped.

I got burned by that a few times.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The last version of Acrobat reader that I liked was v9.1. I had to get a new laptop a few months ago when my old one refused to boot. When I tried to download 9.1 from Adobe I found out that they no longer offered it so I found Foxit. Not quite the same but still acceptable. Reading this thread I decided to make another check for Reader 9.1 and found it at Oldversions.com.
    Giving tips to remove Edge, which breaks the HTML rendering engine for Windows AND using an end of life version of Acrobat with known vulnerabilities?

Not a good look...

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SC899 on Ricohs

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Giving tips to remove Edge, which breaks the HTML rendering engine for Windows AND using an end of life version of Acrobat with known vulnerabilities?

Not a good look...

Maybe for some but Edge from its inception has caused me nothing but headaches. As for Acrobat 9.1, I have never had problems with it. I have with 10.0 and later versions.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Maybe for some but Edge from its inception has caused me nothing but headaches. As for Acrobat 9.1, I have never had problems with it. I have with 10.0 and later versions.
    Newer versions of Edge are really nothing but Chrome since Microsoft stopped trying to build its own browser engine and just adopted Chrome.

The original flavour of Edge was pretty rough. I'm mainly a Firefox ESR user, but for those pages that it doesn't render well Edge is my secondary browser.

Acrobat is one application that needs to be kept up to date as it is so widely used that it has a big enough target on its back for any vulnerabilities. I pay for the full version since I need to be able to create forms and edit existing documents. The subscription also gives the ability to edit PDF's on mobile devices.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I know that some apps require IE in order to operate, even though you never actually see a web interface. Outdated versions of IE could cause issues. This was definitely the case for eCopy ShareScan at one time.

I’m sure the same is true for Edge.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SC899 on Ricohs

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Newer versions of Edge are really nothing but Chrome since Microsoft stopped trying to build its own browser engine and just adopted Chrome.

The original flavour of Edge was pretty rough. I'm mainly a Firefox ESR user, but for those pages that it doesn't render well Edge is my secondary browser.

Acrobat is one application that needs to be kept up to date as it is so widely used that it has a big enough target on its back for any vulnerabilities. I pay for the full version since I need to be able to create forms and edit existing documents. The subscription also gives the ability to edit PDF's on mobile devices.

I have never been happy with chrome either.

For Ricoh service documents 9.1 gives me exactly what I want with the exception of not being able to close all documents at once like 7 did.