Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Installing Windows 11

Installing Windows 11

Normally when you try to upgrade to Windows 11, it does a compatibility check to make sure your hardware meets all the requirements. I stumbled upon a workaround if it doesn't meet all the requirements. I installed Windows 11 on an old Windows 10 machine. It was easy and it works great.

What you have to do is download Windows 11 to a USB stick, open the source file and then edit the appraiseres file.

Editing the appraiseres file is a lot of work. You can find the file already edited and all you have to do is replace.

Anyone done this yet?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Installing Windows 11

You can also just download the Windows 11 ISO, mount it, and install the operating system using the setup exe. You need to accept the prompt that any damage caused by unsupported hardware isn't covered by any warranty.

As of right now I haven't installed Windows 11 on anything other than a VM. It's not a bad OS and the hardware restrictions, especially the processor ones, are the beginning of a more secure Windows environment, though it will likely take a complete move away from NT to accomplish that.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Installing Windows 11

Apparently you don't need to edit the appraiseres file just delete it and repackage the iso.
    How To Remove or Replace appraiserres.dll in Windows 11 Setup

Wonder if ms will push the appraiseres file on the first update?
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Normally when you try to upgrade to Windows 11, it does a compatibility check to make sure your hardware meets all the requirements. I stumbled upon a workaround if it doesn't meet all the requirements. I installed Windows 11 on an old Windows 10 machine. It was easy and it works great.

What you have to do is download Windows 11 to a USB stick, open the source file and then edit the appraiseres file.

Editing the appraiseres file is a lot of work. You can find the file already edited and all you have to do is replace.

Anyone done this yet?

I used this method on my laptop which supports secure boot, but NO TPM chip at all. Also, my processor is not officially supported:

I recommend looking this method up first to make sure I didn't miss any steps, and to make sure this method is still viable.

- Download Windows 10 and Windows 11 iso files.
    - Extract both Iso files
    - DELETE the install.wim file in the windows 10 ISO (In the "Sources" folder)
    - MOVE the install.wim file FROM the Windows 11 ISO (In the "Sources" folder) TO the Windows 10 ISO (In the "Sources" folder)
    - Run the "Setup.exe" file in the Windows 10 ISO. This will use the Windows 10 system requirements and install Windows 11. It will say it's installing Windows 10 at first but it's actually installing Windows 11.

I did this about a month ago and I've been able to install Windows Updates as they come out with no major issues so far. Furthermore, it is reporting as an activated version of Windows 11 pro. My only gripe as of right now is it has broken the ability to index PDF file contents (Unless I pay for foxit iFilter which is way too expensive), and the File explorer has a ~100ms lag when opening/navigating through it.

I ran a risk doing this, but I was prepared to do a full wipe and revert back to Windows 10 if I needed to.

I did this a month ago so I could be missing a step. Also, there's no guarantee that future updates won't double check for supported hardware before allowing updates.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Installing Windows 11

I also had a processor that didn't meet the 'so called' minimum requirements despite my processor only being a couple of years listed on the "supported" list on the MS website.
    I tooled around with several supposed workarounds and didn't have any success.
    (I too was prepared to wipe the drive and re-install Win10 if necessary)
    I finally tried a tool called "Rufus" to help with the installation, which worked perfectly.
    I've been running it for about 2 months without issue and several updates have been applied.

If interested, you can read about it here:
    How to create bootable USB drive for Windows 11 with Rufus • Pureinfotech

This step in the setup instructions is what finally got my installation issue resolved:

(Optional) Under the “Image option” setting, select the Extended Windows 11 Installation (no TPM 2.0, no Secure Boot, 8GB+ RAM) option to create a USB flash drive that bypasses the system requirements.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I also had a processor that didn't meet the 'so called' minimum requirements despite my processor only being a couple of years listed on the "supported" list on the MS website.
    I tooled around with several supposed workarounds and didn't have any success.
    (I too was prepared to wipe the drive and re-install Win10 if necessary)
    I finally tried a tool called "Rufus" to help with the installation, which worked perfectly.
    I've been running it for about 2 months without issue and several updates have been applied.

If interested, you can read about it here:
    How to create bootable USB drive for Windows 11 with Rufus • Pureinfotech

This step in the setup instructions is what finally got my installation issue resolved:

(Optional) Under the “Image option” setting, select the Extended Windows 11 Installation (no TPM 2.0, no Secure Boot, 8GB+ RAM) option to create a USB flash drive that bypasses the system requirements.
    I've used the portable version of Rufus for years to burn ISO's and create bootable USB's. Good tool, and the portable version still updates on first launch.

The minimum requirements are in 11 for a few reasons:

1. The supported processors are the only ones with firmware fixes available for the multiple vulnerabilities like Meltdown and Spectre. Older processors required OS level fixes, which could cause a noticable performance hit.

2. The virtualisation features are greatly expanded. There's a lot of components in Windows that use processor virtualisation features for sandboxing.

My personal theory is that Windows 11 will be the end of Windows NT as the foundation of the operating system.

There's still a few years of life left in Windows 10. By 2025, any hardware too old for Windows 11 will be ready for replacement anyway through attrition.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk