Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TLS 1.3

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    TLS 1.3

Re: TLS 1.3

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Is not SMB 1.0 more about scan to network folder? TLS 1.3 seems to be about everyday email security.

WannaCry was more about a Windows operating system vulnerability exploited by an unwitting employee clicking on a specific dangerous email

I find that Managed Service Providers often demand the highest form of security without first checking is a customer's devices can support it.

This can be good/ bad becuase it does force some customers to upgrade their equipment at unexpected expense or change copier vendors to one that can support the MSP's demands.

I am curious which copier/ printer vendors can support TLS 1.3?
    Yes SMB is scan to folder protocol I used this as a security example.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Is not SMB 1.0 more about scan to network folder? TLS 1.3 seems to be about everyday email security.

WannaCry was more about a Windows operating system vulnerability exploited by an unwitting employee clicking on a specific dangerous email

I find that Managed Service Providers often demand the highest form of security without first checking is a customer's devices can support it.

This can be good/ bad becuase it does force some customers to upgrade their equipment at unexpected expense or change copier vendors to one that can support the MSP's demands.

I am curious which copier/ printer vendors can support TLS 1.3?
    Bizhub C250i and such supports TLS 1.3
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

" it's about session integrity against MITM and hijacking session keys, particularly in session resumption along with payload encryption."

... I have to try and break this statement down into English so that I can explain it:
    A thoughtful analysis and yes, I do go on a bit. However when I am in that same sales meeting I am facing off with the customer's IT who is doing a brain scan to see if I know WTF I am talking about.

A salesperson once told me 'No one but you guys understood a thing you were talking about'. We won the deal because their IT knew our business had the knowledge to actually engage in the work.

As for being paranoid about security, maybe I spend too much time on sites like this:
    AMT healthcare data breach impacts nearly 50,000 patients | The Daily Swig

After recently scanning a medical facility and seeing UDP ping attacks, TLS session spamming (100's of connection attempts per MINUTE) XML SOAP queries, and DHCP spoofs trying to reset DNS addresses I tend to get worried. All this on a site using a 10BaseT hub for it's MFP and Camera sub-net

Oh and then there are the broken MFP protocol stacks which lack updated extentsions.

Whether it's the Manufacturer Engineers or the Customers with arm's length IT nobody really wants to understand this (I've had the dead eyed conversations)......but the hackers.

Latest hacking news | The Daily Swig
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    A thoughtful analysis and yes, I do go on a bit. However when I am in that same sales meeting I am facing off with the customer's IT who is doing a brain scan to see if I know WTF I am talking about.

A salesperson once told me 'No one but you guys understood a thing you were talking about'. We won the deal because their IT knew our business had the knowledge to actually engage in the work.

As for being paranoid about security, maybe I spend too much time on sites like this:
    AMT healthcare data breach impacts nearly 50,000 patients | The Daily Swig

After recently scanning a medical facility and seeing UDP ping attacks, TLS session spamming (100's of connection attempts per MINUTE) XML SOAP queries, and DHCP spoofs trying to reset DNS addresses I tend to get worried. All this on a site using a 10BaseT hub for it's MFP and Camera sub-net

Oh and then there are the broken MFP protocol stacks which lack updated extentsions.

Whether it's the Manufacturer Engineers or the Customers with arm's length IT nobody really wants to understand this (I've had the dead eyed conversations)......but the hackers.

Latest hacking news | The Daily Swig
    Thanks to your link I learned about new for me 😊 printer vulnerability - cross-site printing
    HP printer vulnerabilities left enterprise networks open to abuse via ‘cross-site printing’ attack | The Daily Swig
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    TLS 1.3

Toshiba plans to introduce TLS 1.3 in the next release of copiers in likely April 2022 and then make the firmware backwards compatible to the last two generations of copiers.

Until very recently there has been almost no demand for TLS 1.3 .