Thread: MiFi

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    MiFi

MiFi

I have a new request to install a Toshiba e2505AC (current model) into a site trailer complex on a minimum three month rental at an oil refinery 1.5 hours away through security gates and a whole bunch of mandatory contractor training courses on things like MSDS plus mandatory required clothing, eye protection, hardhat, footwear, etc.

The customer has offered to pick up this copier at my location and transport it to their site trailer.

This is a valued customer who I both want to please and not give an opportunity to a competitor to introduce themselves.

The customer only offers MiFi as an internet connection.

I said what? I never heard of MiFi before.

Anyway after a watching a bunch of YouTube videos, I have concluded that MiFi is essentially a form of a wireless internet connection provisioned by cellular data.

"MiFi is a brand name used to describe a wireless router that acts as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot.

In many countries, including the United States, Canada, and Mexico, Inseego Corp owns a registered trademark on the "MiFi" brand name.

A MiFi device can be connected to a cellular network and provide Internet access for up to ten devices. "

There are no ports on the MiFi device to connect a network cable to. The customer wants scan to email so simply connecting the copier into a nearby computer to print via USB cable is not an option.

Toshiba offers a nice GN-4020 Wireless LAN module that I have and I will also provide a Tripp Lite LC1800 Line Conditioner to protect the copier against unstable power supply.

Does anybody have any experience connecting a copier via IP address to a MiFi connection?

I plan to ask the customer if they can assign me an IP address/ Subnet/Gateway in advance of delivery or is it best to put the copier first into Dynamic mode?

I never plan to be onsite and will configure the copier remotely via Windows 10 Quick Assist or TeamViewer.

Thanks,

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: MiFi

The problem with most MiFi devices is that there's very little you can do in terms of management so your only option is going to be a DHCP connection. Also do not be shocked if most functions other than printing are crippled or very slow. Since you're looking to do scan to email that should still have a chance to go through as long as it's not over port 25.

MiFi

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    The problem with most MiFi devices is that there's very little you can do in terms of management so your only option is going to be a DHCP connection. Also do not be shocked if most functions other than printing are crippled or very slow. Since you're looking to do scan to email that should still have a chance to go through as long as it's not over port 25.
    Why is Port 25 a problem? Thanks,

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

It's the default port for SMTP in the clear, which most ISP's have blocked to prevent spammers from setting up shop or to keep people from running their own mail servers. The mobile carriers are likely going to have it shut down as well.

MiFi

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    It's the default port for SMTP in the clear, which most ISP's have blocked to prevent spammers from setting up shop or to keep people from running their own mail servers. The mobile carriers are likely going to have it shut down as well.
    OK, that helps to narrow down which SMTP client I will try.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

We have a construction company that moves a job trailer around to different sites and they use a MiFi device.

Here are a few of the service calls:

They changed to newer Verizon Mi-Fi Jetpack's and now cannot print. Needs the copier's Wi-Fi adapter reprogrammed to connect to the new Jetpack.
    New Jetpacks installed. Could prints/scans be using data? He thinks the copier might also be using data in stand by. Chatty on the network?
    New wi-fi equipment. Would like the copier connected to the wi-fi and then a few PC's connected.

They have a guy that is pretty good with IT issues and still they call in. As long as the MiFi equipment stays the same and keeps the same settings the entire 3 months you may be ok once you get it working. All of these calls required onsite service after attempting phone and remote assistance. Remoting in isn't an option when the copier can't establish a connection. I hope they have an actual IT person on staff because site managers don't often have the time or patience to we walked through things like this over the phone.

MiFi

Quote Originally Posted by mloudy View Post
    We have a construction company that moves a job trailer around to different sites and they use a MiFi device.

Here are a few of the service calls:

They changed to newer Verizon Mi-Fi Jetpack's and now cannot print. Needs the copier's Wi-Fi adapter reprogrammed to connect to the new Jetpack.
    New Jetpacks installed. Could prints/scans be using data? He thinks the copier might also be using data in stand by. Chatty on the network?
    New wi-fi equipment. Would like the copier connected to the wi-fi and then a few PC's connected.

They have a guy that is pretty good with IT issues and still they call in. As long as the MiFi equipment stays the same and keeps the same settings the entire 3 months you may be ok once you get it working. All of these calls required onsite service after attempting phone and remote assistance. Remoting in isn't an option when the copier can't establish a connection. I hope they have an actual IT person on staff because site managers don't often have the time or patience to we walked through things like this over the phone.
    ... big thanks! I do not think they have an actual IT guy for the site trailers. Just an employee who they claim is good at computers. This is a sub contractor working outside the actual refinery. I think I may be setting myself up for a lot of misery.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... big thanks! I do not think they have an actual IT guy for the site trailers. Just an employee who they claim is good at computers. This is a sub contractor working outside the actual refinery. I think I may be setting myself up for a lot of misery.
    Methinks you just may be right.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Why not get a Wi-Fi adapter for the Toshiba offering the Wi-Fi Direct option? It will create its own SSID and Password. Could also buy a D-Link wall ethernet extender with ethernet plug and extend MiFi over to it and network copier that way.
    “First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

MiFi

Quote Originally Posted by J_Arnold View Post
    Why not get a Wi-Fi adapter for the Toshiba offering the Wi-Fi Direct option? It will create its own SSID and Password. Could also buy a D-Link wall ethernet extender with ethernet plug and extend MiFi over to it and network copier that way.
    This copier quote has gone cold for me but I am kicking myself for not thinking of the Wi-Fi Direct option. Thanks,