Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HDD 100% Usage

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    HDD 100% Usage

Re: HDD 100% Usage

SSd's and more ram are not always the magic bullet. I have an aging Toshiba Satellite with Intel Celeron900 2.2ghz 4 gigs ram and a ssd.
    The actual OS Lubuntu ain't too bad, but Firefox takes 6 seconds to start and a further 18 seconds to go from Google to YouTube with the fan maxing out along with the cpu.
    Over the years web browsers get update taking advantage of newer features incorporated in processors making older equipment like my laptop obsolete.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    HDD 100% Usage

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    "This file contains Virus or Malware"

Tells my WindowsDefender!!!

Hans
    I downloaded and opened the file yesterday using a Linux computer, unfortunately Windows Defender isn't available for that one.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    SSd's and more ram are not always the magic bullet. I have an aging Toshiba Satellite with Intel Celeron900 2.2ghz 4 gigs ram and a ssd.
    The actual OS Lubuntu ain't too bad, but Firefox takes 6 seconds to start and a further 18 seconds to go from Google to YouTube with the fan maxing out along with the cpu.
    Over the years web browsers get update taking advantage of newer features incorporated in processors making older equipment like my laptop obsolete.
    Well this Celeron is ~13yo and wasn't even a good choice when it came out^^ At some point there are no miracles to expect.

@using tools etc:

I usually skip the deep diagnoses part - if the general hardware specs are "OK-ish" and the OS seems "clean" but the performance is bad, I usually just take a look if the drive load is maxing out 100% while there are no demanding tasks. Fortunately the price for SSDs are (still) cheap.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

if w10 64 ssd is must
    w10 32 works ok with hdd

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post

I have had the same with my Lubuntu. Try Chromium instead. Very smooth and fast.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by livancicm View Post
    if w10 64 ssd is must
    w10 32 works ok with hdd

Agree, but I'd stay away from 32bit anything anymore. Most things don't play well with it.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    HDD 100% Usage

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Agree, but I'd stay away from 32bit anything anymore. Most things don't play well with it.
    I wonder why it is then that MFP manufacturers like Ricoh still refuse to write 64 bit TWAIN drivers?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    HDD 100% Usage

Just a quick follow up. I replaced both HDD's with SSD's. On the first one, that's basically all that was needed. On the 2nd one, I found 27 infections when I ran Malware Bytes. Moreover, I found multiple extensions that had been added to Google Chrome. That was hogging up CPU and RAM resources.

Once I got all of that straighten out, I did a little research and testing on multiple browsers. Personally, I use Chrome and I know it has a bad reputation but I like it.

I tested the following:

a.) Chrome
    b.) Edge
    c.) FireFox
    d.) Opera

The clear winner was EDGE. It used the least amount of CPU and RAM. By a pretty wide margin.

Surprisingly, FireFox used almost as much resources as Chrome.

I didn't test all the browsers. Hopefully others can add to my list. And feel free to disagree. You're not gonna hurt my feelings.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I wonder why it is then that MFP manufacturers like Ricoh still refuse to write 64 bit TWAIN drivers?
    It’s also for that very reason than some apps need to be 32 bit.

Case in point: eCopy ShareScan. I once spoke with one of their engineers and asked why they weren’t a 64 bit app, and he said it was because the MFP manufacturers were stuck on 32.

I had a law firm that really could have used some extra RAM on their eCopy ScanStations to accommodate the extra legal software they needed to run on them. Had they been 64 bit, they could have utilized the additional memory we would have installed.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    It’s also for that very reason than some apps need to be 32 bit.

Case in point: eCopy ShareScan. I once spoke with one of their engineers and asked why they weren’t a 64 bit app, and he said it was because the MFP manufacturers were stuck on 32.

I had a law firm that really could have used some extra RAM on their eCopy ScanStations to accommodate the extra legal software they needed to run on them. Had they been 64 bit, they could have utilized the additional memory we would have installed.
    While 64-bit operating systems can run 32-bit applications without issues, Windows 10 is the last version of Windows that will have a 32-bit edition. Windows 11 RTM, OEM, and retail versions will all be x64. This finally puts them on the same footing as MacOS and mainstream Linux distros which have all dropped x86 versions years ago.

Ricoh saw no need to go with x64 TWAIN since it's much easier to get the same effect from a WIA driver that hooks into the OS more effectively than TWAIN ever did. Most mainstream image apps also natively support it.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk