Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Analog Fax lines could start to go away in August 2022

Re: Analog Fax lines could start to go away in August 2022

From my experience voice and data have to be sepearated on your network to not cause issues like the ones in this thread. I currently have all VoIP traffice on its own Vlan on our network. We have 2 FoIP lines that are on their own dedicated vlan. We have not had a majority of quality issues, but as a user mentioned above those that we have had issues with are POTS users. Just my two cents.

Frontier in Florida is not repairing copper lines anymore

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Here in Spain, we have been dismantling copper telephone stations for 5 years. And according to the latest estimates, the complete analog blackout will be reached in 2025.
    I always tell customers to forget about fax, and I insist that the lines that still remain for FAX service, the teleoperator companies, charge it as a totally different and very expensive service. And that today its quality is disastrous.
    I take advantage of any excuse that a machine gives problems to remove the fax module, and tell the client that it is obsolete technology and that it causes failures in the xD machines ha ha ja xD. That if I wore it is because it is a remnant of the Jurassic.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

... customers in the USA are already beginning to receive letters from their telcos informing them of either a discontinuation of service 50 days from now or an increase in the cost of analog lines.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

There is nothing better for a customer to stop giving irrelevant complaints, than to let him know that he has to scratch his pocket xD ha ha ha ha!!!!
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

OpenText XM Fax, a cloud based fax solution, is promoted by several OEMs with an app that embeds into the copier's LCD panel. It is easy to use.

Basically there is an Admin fee to port the fax lines over to XM Fax and then the customer has to purchase prepaid credits to use the service.

The entry level package costs approx $1,500.00 but the customer saves the cost of purchasing a fax board for the copier.

A subscription to XM Fax also gives you access to XM SendSecure allowing the customer in a manner similar to email send files up to 5TB in size with full reporting of when the document was downloaded.

Often telecoms sell their voice and data products bundled with fax so it can be difficult to seperate out the fax line charge which averages $75.00 per month.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

As I consider when we will be forced to make the switch I am thinking about a few things. Not fax related but phone related. We are still running 5 voice lines and 1 fax line. In this building for 25 years and during power outages the phones still work. Is the copper network running on generators in this case? Friend sends me a text last night telling me his entire area is without power and the best scenario is that it will be restored in 40 hours. So how long will the battery backup last on a VOIP system without power in house? We would also need to have our network equipment and router on a backup too I would assume? I seem to remember once that when the power was out in most of our city but we still had power that internet was down.

My security system at home and at work are both phone line based. At home my only option is hit and miss satellite internet and my cell service rarely hits 1 bar. There are huge areas around me without cell service. This is going to have a great impact on many people l living in my rural area when they lose phone service.

We have a few clients running RightFax and eGoldFax. Never get a fax related service call from them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mloudy View Post
    As I consider when we will be forced to make the switch I am thinking about a few things. Not fax related but phone related. We are still running 5 voice lines and 1 fax line. In this building for 25 years and during power outages the phones still work. Is the copper network running on generators in this case? Friend sends me a text last night telling me his entire area is without power and the best scenario is that it will be restored in 40 hours. So how long will the battery backup last on a VOIP system without power in house? We would also need to have our network equipment and router on a backup too I would assume? I seem to remember once that when the power was out in most of our city but we still had power that internet was down.

My security system at home and at work are both phone line based. At home my only option is hit and miss satellite internet and my cell service rarely hits 1 bar. There are huge areas around me without cell service. This is going to have a great impact on many people l living in my rural area when they lose phone service.

We have a few clients running RightFax and eGoldFax. Never get a fax related service call from them anymore.
    ... these copper line services are all at the mercy of your local telecom that supports them. The telecom does not have to discontinue this service but they can certainly increase the costs.

I do not know but I think the initial focus will be on dense urban areas but it is likely the rural areas that are the most expensive for telecoms to service.

As we all move to the Cloud, if the Cloud becomes unavailable with no copper line physical backups vulnerabilities become obvious.

The FCC has ruled, so the outcome is now cast in stone.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

When I was deployed to Iraq in 2004-2005, 3 other senior NCOs and I signed up for accounts with Efax.com. At that time, faxes could be sent through their online entry page and received as email attachments, I just checked their website and faxes can now be sent as email. Whenever one of our soldiers needed information from their home unit, we could have it overnight vs 10 days for snail mail. None of our soldiers ever missed a cutoff date for submitting a promotion packet. When I got back, I continued to use them for testing fax equipment.

I ran into my first VOIP telephony system this week using Cisco IP phones.

This enterprise customers uses a 3rd party box to convert analog fax signal into digital signal sand out to the world.

The problem is the convertor does not work very well and after using all of my tricks to make the Toshiba GD1370NA analog fax board work, the customer cannot send/receive faxes which is important to them.

Toshiba just introduced the GS1100Node which is an IP Fax solution that I have no experience with. There are lots of new terms and concepts to get a handle on. There is also XM Fax.

A lot of customers have VoIP telephone systems with IP phones because it is now less expensive than traditional telephone systems so this is now a new probing question when I sell a new copier with a fax board.

We learn as we work.