Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Analog Fax lines could start to go away in August 2022

Re: Analog Fax lines could start to go away in August 2022

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    I ran into my first VOIP telephony system this week using Cisco IP phones.

This enterprise customers uses a 3rd party box to convert analog fax signal into digital signal sand out to the world.

The problem is the convertor does not work very well and after using all of my tricks to make the Toshiba GD1370NA analog fax board work, the customer cannot send/receive faxes which is important to them.

Toshiba just introduced the GS1100Node which is an IP Fax solution that I have no experience with. There are lots of new terms and concepts to get a handle on. There is also XM Fax.

A lot of customers have VoIP telephone systems with IP phones because it is now less expensive than traditional telephone systems so this is now a new probing question when I sell a new copier with a fax board.

We learn as we work.
    3rd party box was the mistake. Had they informed the ISP and the company installing the Cisco phone system they would have insured that a proper was installed. Never failed every time I have done so.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

I've been using Nextiva for our VOIP service and he have a fax line with them, too. Flawless. The call quality is 100x better than any analog line. Fax works flawlessly, also. I just recommended Nextiva to one of my customers and Nextiva sent me a check for $500 for referring them.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

... for most larger enterprises, such as the one that I am currently working with, that have Cisco IP phones on all of their desks, you have work with a Cisco ATA 186 analog to digital convertor box.

You have to make sure the ATA box is set to Passthrough and you must reduce the fax modem speed to 9,600 bps while turning off Error Correction mode.

I have to test on Monday introducing pauses into the dial string 9-902- 1234567**** . Nine to get an outside line/ area code/ number/ four pauses

I was able to successfully fax into the copier on site today from the copier in my office.

It is helpful to turn the Fax Monitor on so that you can hear the two devices attempting a handshake and communicate.

I am also learning about the use of a new Toshiba supplied IP Fax option which I am told is the proper solution when dealing with a VoIP telephony system. The fax originates as a digital transmission ( not analog) and passes through the digital VoIP system.

.... in the end, with this customer, the problem was with the settings within the Cisco ATA186 box. A copier tech can only do so much and if you think you are doing everything you can on your side, you have to push the problem back to IT.

Obviously a copier tech cannot be expected to configure a piece of Network infrastructure.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I can't believe we are still kicking the fax issue can down the road yet. Customers with new faxes complain they don't work right. I come out straight and tell them faxing is no longer supported anywhere, if it works, it works, otherwise nothing I can do for you. If you don't want the fax, tell sales you want a refund. I believe I have a lot less problems than other techs by not budging. Other guys will play with baud, noise reduction, echo, ecm, etc. Sometimes it helps, but as soon as a fax fails, customer calls you right back to fix it again because you didn't fix it right the time before. Rip the bandage off, don't give the customer wiggle room. Save you a lot of grief in the long run.

I use a couple examples of in the 90's lots of people had dialup internet which used similar tech as faxing. Computers moved away from that tech you no longer find dialup modems anywhere yet faxing remains. Used to be if you called or faxed to Chicago, you had copper wire and electric connections end to end. That is no more, you call Chicago, it either goes through cell towers, microwave towers, fiber, or satellite from here to there. Same goes for your cell phones, computer browsing, cable tv, and so on. Faxing has been around since b/w tvs, 8 tracks, cassette players, vhs tapes, beta tapes, vacuum tube televisions, wind up watches, and leaded gas. It essentially hasn't changed since 1997.

On a brighter note, I mentioned to one customer how outdated faxing was and how it is no longer feasable. This gal looked at me and said maybe if enough people complain, it will have a comeback like vinyl records are doing.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    I can't believe we are still kicking the fax issue can down the road yet. Customers with new faxes complain they don't work right. I come out straight and tell them faxing is no longer supported anywhere, if it works, it works, otherwise nothing I can do for you. If you don't want the fax, tell sales you want a refund. I believe I have a lot less problems than other techs by not budging. Other guys will play with baud, noise reduction, echo, ecm, etc. Sometimes it helps, but as soon as a fax fails, customer calls you right back to fix it again because you didn't fix it right the time before. Rip the bandage off, don't give the customer wiggle room. Save you a lot of grief in the long run.

I use a couple examples of in the 90's lots of people had dialup internet which used similar tech as faxing. Computers moved away from that tech you no longer find dialup modems anywhere yet faxing remains. Used to be if you called or faxed to Chicago, you had copper wire and electric connections end to end. That is no more, you call Chicago, it either goes through cell towers, microwave towers, fiber, or satellite from here to there. Same goes for your cell phones, computer browsing, cable tv, and so on. Faxing has been around since b/w tvs, 8 tracks, cassette players, vhs tapes, beta tapes, vacuum tube televisions, wind up watches, and leaded gas. It essentially hasn't changed since 1997.

On a brighter note, I mentioned to one customer how outdated faxing was and how it is no longer feasable. This gal looked at me and said maybe if enough people complain, it will have a comeback like vinyl records are doing.
    ... OpenText's XM Cloud Fax is an excellent way for those industries like healthcare and legal that still require fax to have a reliable service. While not cheap, at the start, approx $1,800.00 for 6,000 credits, the customer saves the cost of a fax board and the monthly recurring costs from the telco for a dedicated fax line which for a SMB business can be approx $70.00 per month.