Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    USB Device not working properly

Re: USB Device not working properly

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Can you go to the manufacturer website to look for the driver, or look for an FAQ for the device?
    This is a Dell Optiplex 9020. This PC will only be used for my pinball cabinet and they recommended doing a clean install of Windows before installing the pinball software...which I did. However, I did not install the chipset drivers from Dell's website. This was causing errors with the USB ports but it still didn't correct the problem after installing chipset drivers.

I tried everything to fix the problem with no luck. So, this morning I backed everything up and did a clean install of Windows and immediatly downloaded the chipset drivers from Dell. This corrected the problem. Thank God. I was at my wits end.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    This is a Dell Optiplex 9020. This PC will only be used for my pinball cabinet and they recommended doing a clean install of Windows before installing the pinball software...which I did. However, I did not install the chipset drivers from Dell's website. This was causing errors with the USB ports but it still didn't correct the problem after installing chipset drivers.

I tried everything to fix the problem with no luck. So, this morning I backed everything up and did a clean install of Windows and immediatly downloaded the chipset drivers from Dell. This corrected the problem. Thank God. I was at my wits end.
    Install Dell Command Update from the Dell support site: it will pull all drivers and BIOS updates applicable to the machine.

Support for the 9020 ended not that long ago so whatever drivers it finds are likely going to be close to the last ones available.

Any time I rebuild a Dell machine the first thing I do is install DCU and pull all of the drivers.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post

Sounds like without the latest chipset drivers already installed before installing the pinball software parts of the pinball software failed to initialize properly.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Sounds like without the latest chipset drivers already installed before installing the pinball software parts of the pinball software failed to initialize properly.

It sounds to me like I didn't know what I was doing. All of this is fairly new to me.
    Growth is found only in adversity.