Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    My first PC build

My first PC build

This pinball cabinet that I'm building is gonna be the death of me. I was getting close(r) to finishing and out of nowhere the gaming PC that I built died.

I built this PC on a budget mainly because I already had it and I wasn't wanting to break the bank.

The PC was a Dell Optiplex 9020 with an I7 CPU. It had 16g of RAM, 1TB SSD, 500w power supply and a Nvidia 1060 GPU.

Last night the fans starting spinning really fast. I had never seen them run that fast before. Usually it's a sign of overheating. I turned it off for a while and when I attempted to turn back on....DEAD! Nothing. No lights. No fans. No nothing.

I pulled the power suppy and it's fine. I checked the power button. No problem. I'm thinking it's the motherboad.

I guess that's what I get for cheaping out.

I'm not a gamer. I've never been a gamer and won't become one. I just need to build a gaming PC for a pinball cabinet. Doesn't need to be the most powerful. It will have 3 monitors all running 1080p.

I've never built a PC from scracth before.

Here's what I ordered:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) AM4 Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 & 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, Dual M.2, 12+2 with Dr. MOS Power Stage

EVGA 220-GA-0750-X1 Super Nova 750 Ga, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, ECO Mode with Dbb Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply

Corsair 4000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Case - Black

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-32GVK

I'll use my old existing GPU and SSD.

Hopefully, I don't fuck it up. Any advice is welcomed.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: My first PC build

Nice setup, good mobo. Those VRMs will last better than the Dell mobo.

If you want blazing speeds consider an NVME SSD drive since you have x570

You’ll need to get into the UEFI bios to enable the XMP profile to clock the memory to 3600mhz, but it is just a setting toggle, no custom timings have to be figured out.

Enjoy!
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin