Technician

Kyocera NW Fax driver on off-site Terminal server

Has anyone successfully install a Kyocera NW fax driver on a terminal server?
    I have a customer using a off-site service for their application and connect through a vpn with RDP to the terminal server. They are able to install print drivers on the terminal server to print to the printers at the office. When you install the NW fax driver, the installer can see the fax option on the Kyocera mfp and the driver install completes ok. However, when you try to print to the fax driver, it just brings up the Transmission Control window but not the window for the address settings and other options. The Transmission Control will show a Program not Responding message.

I spoke with Tech Support. They only support drivers when they are install on a local machine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Kyocera NW Fax driver on off-site Terminal server

Sounds like the print to fax driver is not fully configured on the terminal server. In order to function properly may require that there physically be a Kyo a the location of the terminal server or a "Print to Fax" application installed on the server. Better option might be to print to a local folder and then fax from that folder. THere are also numerous online fax services that allow you to email to fax where the fax number is part of the addressee email address.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

I've had similar situations in the past with Ricoh LAN Fax drivers where they wouldn't share correctly because of the cover sheet and address book templates that are also installed but not shared from a server. Likely you have a similar issue with this driver.

What's the boundary of the VPN? When connecting to it, do the computers have access to the printer? If so, you could install the fax driver as a local printer and see if the printer will pass through RDP to the terminal server. You may still run into the same issue, but at least the session would have access to any files needed that a shared print queue wouldn't offer.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    I've had similar situations in the past with Ricoh LAN Fax drivers where they wouldn't share correctly because of the cover sheet and address book templates that are also installed but not shared from a server. Likely you have a similar issue with this driver.

Same here with the Ricoh fax driver.

Only supported when installed locally as well.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post

What's the boundary of the VPN? When connecting to it, do the computers have access to the printer? If so, you could install the fax driver as a local printer and see if the printer will pass through RDP to the terminal server. You may still run into the same issue, but at least the session would have access to any files needed that a shared print queue wouldn't offer.

The user print to printers in the office with drivers on the terminal server with out any problems. IT turned off connections to local resources on RDC.
    I am going to test (in my lab) installing the driver on a local machine and see if the terminal server print redirect back to the local driver and see if that works.

Thanks

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

It will only work on local installs due to the two way communication the driver requires for network faxing.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook