Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Server 2019 - Active Directory

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I ruled out the user profile because I could log on to any other PC using the same user and folder redirect worked fine. Am I missing something or not understanding correctly?
    The user profile is unique to every machine that someone logs into. The account and profile are two different things: the user account is the AD object, the user profile is the user's logon for that specific machine, namely their entry in C:\Users|%username%. I've seen plenty of instances where a local profile just decides to break for no logical reason. Delete the profile, have the user log into create a new one on the machine, and usually everything works again.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Server 2019 - Active Directory

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    The user profile is unique to every machine that someone logs into. The account and profile are two different things: the user account is the AD object, the user profile is the user's logon for that specific machine, namely their entry in C:\Users|%username%. I've seen plenty of instances where a local profile just decides to break for no logical reason. Delete the profile, have the user log into create a new one on the machine, and usually everything works again.

That's interesting. I'm a little confused how the local user profile would affect Folder Redirect. And why is it only affecting Folder Redirect for this one user (owner) of the PC?

Sorry for being a pain in the ass.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you want it to. It contains your settings for desktop backgrounds, screen savers, pointer preferences, sound settings, and other features. User profiles ensure that your personal preferences are used whenever you log on to Windows.

A user account is a collection of information that tells Windows what files and folders you can access, what changes you can make to the computer, and your personal preferences, such as your desktop background or color theme. Each person accesses their user account with a user name and password.

For example, If your user profile is corrupted, then you will encounter error when logging on to windows or meet other error messages, you will need to create a new profile, but before you create a new profile, you must first create a new user account. When the account is created, a profile is also created.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    That's interesting. I'm a little confused how the local user profile would affect Folder Redirect. And why is it only affecting Folder Redirect for this one user (owner) of the PC?

Sorry for being a pain in the ass.
    Because it's a series of settings that allow the computer to connect to resources as the logged in user. If a setting file gets corrupted, or something odd happens, all bets are off as to whether or not the user can connect to the proper resources, or even be able to log in cleanly.

In your case, the CSC cache likely broke so the computer couldn't sync files for offline use. Saw this happen plenty of times. It was one of the reasons I was glad to dump folder redirection for OneDrive's Known Folder Sync...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Because it's a series of settings that allow the computer to connect to resources as the logged in user. If a setting file gets corrupted, or something odd happens, all bets are off as to whether or not the user can connect to the proper resources, or even be able to log in cleanly.

In your case, the CSC cache likely broke so the computer couldn't sync files for offline use. Saw this happen plenty of times. It was one of the reasons I was glad to dump folder redirection for OneDrive's Known Folder Sync...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Okay, that makes sense. I have suspected for a while that offline files was the problem. I even mentioned in this thread. I read where some guys were able to repair the problem by making entries in the registry. It was a little confusing so I decided not to try.

I'll file this in the memory bank. It was a learning experience if nothing else.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

So creating a new Profile did the trick for you?

I was just thinking about the issue and thought about SMB 1 to be toggled of in programms & features on the client.
    Another Idea could have been to set NetBios in services to start delayed.

Just 2 thoughts that could save someone from losing files if no backup exists (Which i highly recommend for every business / school, because then a corrupted profile doesnt make almost any data loss)