Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Server 2019 - Active Directory

Here's the backstory. I have a client that is switching over to a VOIP phone system. They(phone company) ran some tests and determined that there was double natting. I had never heard of this but got up to speed after doing a little research.

This was an existing network that I took over and it turned out that the last IT guy had installed a Linksys Router and natting was enabled.

The servce provider router is on this subnet: 192.168.0.xxx

The Linksys router has this subnet: 192.168.1.xxx

The server was on 192.168.1.xxx

The router needed to come out because it wasn't needed and it was creating a problem.

So, I pulled the router.

Here's where it gets interesting: I had to change the ip address on the domain controller to the subnet of the service provider router. I then had to adjust the DHCP server accordingly.

Everything is working fine. Or so I thought. This morning I tried to open Users and Computers and it won't open.

I read up on this problem and will be going back tomorrow.

Anyone have any experience with this?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Re: Server 2019 - Active Directory

PS - FYI - Double natting doesn't cause a problem when trying to get out to the internet or accessing anything internally. The probem arises when someone has to get into the network from the outside. Or so I was told.

Edit: To be clear, double natting causes a problem with quailty of call on VOIP systems.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

If you are running straight from the ISP router/modem, make sure that your internal DNS is still pulling from your domain controller. Active Directory relies on DNS for almost every service and if you're getting DNS information from the ISP, it doesn't know anything about your internal network.

Depending on what's giving out DHCP, it also needs to be pointing at the domain controllers for DNS: never, let me repeat this, NEVER use external DNS servers in an Active Directory environment. Your domain controller(s) should be handling DNS and forwarding external queries to pre-configured external DNS servers.

Also check your IPv6 settings: often without that extra NAT you can get IPv6 information from the ISP instead of just link local addresses, which also screw up your name resolution.

Depending on what software, if any, needs to be installed in the AD environment you could potentially let the VOIP system live off the ISP router, while leaving the AD instance behind the second NAT. I have a few customers doing something similar and other than making sure the VOIP and computer networks are clearly labelled at the wall and network closet, it works pretty well.
    Last edited by rthonpm; 08-16-2022 at 04:51 PM. Reason: More details.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    If you are running straight from the ISP router/modem, make sure that your internal DNS is still pulling from your domain controller. Active Directory relies on DNS for almost every service and if you're getting DNS information from the ISP, it doesn't know anything about your internal network.

Depending on what's giving out DHCP, it also needs to be pointing at the domain controllers for DNS: never, let me repeat this, NEVER use external DNS servers in an Active Directory environment. Your domain controller(s) should be handling DNS and forwarding external queries to pre-configured external DNS servers.

Also check your IPv6 settings: often without that extra NAT you can get IPv6 information from the ISP instead of just link local addresses, which also screw up your name resolution.

Depending on what software, if any, needs to be installed in the AD environment you could potentially let the VOIP system live off the ISP router, while leaving the AD instance behind the second NAT. I have a few customers doing something similar and other than making sure the VOIP and computer networks are clearly labelled at the wall and network closet, it works pretty well.
    No, I'm not using an external DNS server. You taught me that valuable lesson a while back. lol

I think my problem is that I didn 't update my pointer records and I need to flush the DNS cache. Does that sound right?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

One question, did you check with the ISP to see if their modem could be configured for bridging. That is where the modem puts public address on its output jack(s).

My dentist put in a VOIP system about 8 or 10 years ago that also tied in with their dental software. Worked fine until AT&T had to replace the 2-wire modem that had worked fine for years with a U-verse DSL modem and had them remove the router. Not only that but they assumed that everything was getting DHCP from the router and changed the subnet from 192. to a 10. The problem was that nothing was using DHCP. The dental software required fixed for all the computers (licensing) and the VOIP software required fixed IP for all the phones. The support people at the dental software told me how to reconfigure the U-verse for bridging. Worked fine until AT&T updated firmware, which they did regularly. They ended up changing to cable service.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    No, I'm not using an external DNS server. You taught me that valuable lesson a while back. lol

I think my problem is that I didn 't update my pointer records and I need to flush the DNS cache. Does that sound right?
    Check everything in terms of DNS, make sure that there's nothing pointing back to the old IP range. DNS should flush itself at the client side fairly regularly, but also double check ipconfig /all from a couple of client machines and servers. You probably need to re-create any manually created A records in DNS, as well as clear out any old records that point to the old IP. PTR records are reverse lookup records and creating new A or CNAME records will also create the associated PTR record as well.

Make sure that there's nothing in the Connection specific DNS suffix search list other than the AD TLD. If there's anything else there, especially the ISP TLD, then you're getting DNS settings from somewhere else and it can be a bit of a bear to track down. Also make sure that DHCP is assigning everything correctly in terms of local DNS servers. If necessary, charge the customer to put a Windows DHCP server in the environment so that the router isn't trying to impose its own settings on anything.

You can also check and make sure that clients are correctly reporting to DNS by running ipconfig /registerdns on a few clients and see if the correct records appear within 15-20 minutes.

Also trying a simple nslookup and a static hostname can help you see just where systems are looking for their name registration.

Some basic sanity checks are also available here: So you want to change your IP range? – Ace Fekay

The article is a little old, but the basics of everything are still valid, especially when considering the Global Catalgoue settings of AD and making sure they're right.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One question, did you check with the ISP to see if their modem could be configured for bridging. That is where the modem puts public address on its output jack(s).

My dentist put in a VOIP system about 8 or 10 years ago that also tied in with their dental software. Worked fine until AT&T had to replace the 2-wire modem that had worked fine for years with a U-verse DSL modem and had them remove the router. Not only that but they assumed that everything was getting DHCP from the router and changed the subnet from 192. to a 10. The problem was that nothing was using DHCP. The dental software required fixed for all the computers (licensing) and the VOIP software required fixed IP for all the phones. The support people at the dental software told me how to reconfigure the U-verse for bridging. Worked fine until AT&T updated firmware, which they did regularly. They ended up changing to cable service.

I contacted their ISP and was told that I can NOT even log into the router. They said that all ports are open (except for a few known security risks) and that's it. I was surprised by that. I have a U-verse router and can log in and makes changes.

NOTE: I think I may have forgotten to point the DNS server back to itself. It's probably still pointing to the old IP address. I'll check that out today. I have the keys to the place.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Check everything in terms of DNS, make sure that there's nothing pointing back to the old IP range. DNS should flush itself at the client side fairly regularly, but also double check ipconfig /all from a couple of client machines and servers. You probably need to re-create any manually created A records in DNS, as well as clear out any old records that point to the old IP. PTR records are reverse lookup records and creating new A or CNAME records will also create the associated PTR record as well.

Make sure that there's nothing in the Connection specific DNS suffix search list other than the AD TLD. If there's anything else there, especially the ISP TLD, then you're getting DNS settings from somewhere else and it can be a bit of a bear to track down. Also make sure that DHCP is assigning everything correctly in terms of local DNS servers. If necessary, charge the customer to put a Windows DHCP server in the environment so that the router isn't trying to impose its own settings on anything.

You can also check and make sure that clients are correctly reporting to DNS by running ipconfig /registerdns on a few clients and see if the correct records appear within 15-20 minutes.

Also trying a simple nslookup and a static hostname can help you see just where systems are looking for their name registration.

Some basic sanity checks are also available here: So you want to change your IP range? – Ace Fekay

The article is a little old, but the basics of everything are still valid, especially when considering the Global Catalgoue settings of AD and making sure they're right.

Thanks so much for your help. It's always appreciated. I'll check all of those things.

Update: I have it all straightened out. The A records were screwed up. I fixed that. That's really all that it was as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Update: I have it all straightened out. The A records were screwed up. I fixed that. That's really all that it was as far as I can tell.
    Rule number one in network troubleshooting: it's always DNS.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk