Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    2FA coming for MS365 email servers Oct 01 2022

Switch to Microsoft Exchange Online 'Modern Auth' before October

On October 1 2022, Microsoft will start switching off Basic Auth for Exchange Online tenants worldwide.

Microsoft Exchange Online to Drop Basic Authentication Support in October

This is the same inconvenience as the Gmail App Password creation for standard scanning dual authentication enabling nightmare.

It's finally time for businesses running Exchange Online to switch from Basic Authentication to Modern Authentication before Microsoft disables the former on October 1, 2022, according to the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.

One of the key features that Basic Authentication or "Basic Auth" doesn't support is multi-factor authentication (MFA), which is one of the best protections against identity and password attacks.

Microsoft has been urging all organizations to switch to Modern Auth for well over a year. It originally planned to disable Basic Auth in the second half of 2021, but in February 2021 delayed this plan due to the pandemic and eventually set a deadline for October 2022.

"We will start to turn off Basic Authentication in our worldwide multi-tenant service on October 1, 2022. To be clear, we will start on October 1; this is not the date we turn it off for everyone. We will randomly select tenants, send 7-day warning Message Center posts (and post Service Health Dashboard notices), then we will turn off Basic Auth in the tenant. We expect to complete this by the end of this year. You should therefore be ready by October 1," the Exchange Online team said.
    "We're turning off Basic Auth for the following protocols: MAPI, RPC, Offline Address Book (OAB), Exchange Web Services (EWS), POP, IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync (EAS), and Remote PowerShell.

"We are not turning off SMTP AUTH. We have turned off SMTP AUTH for millions of tenants not using it, but if SMTP AUTH is enabled in your tenant, it's because we see usage and so we won't touch it. We do recommend you disable it at the tenant level and re-enable it only for those user accounts that still need it.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: 2FA coming for MS365 email servers Oct 01 2022

All accounts will need for scan to email is SMTP Auth enabled on the account.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    All accounts will need for scan to email is SMTP Auth enabled on the account.

... so if a current client is using smtp.office365.com the service provider does not have to do anything?

Toshiba just offered a firmware upgrade as a countermeasure but I can see nothing different in how the smtp client is presented in the web browser.

Is this security change really more about using MS Exchange for sending and receiving every day emails and not so much about using a copier for scan to email?
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 09-20-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... so if a current client is using smtp.office365.com the service provider does not have to do anything?

Toshiba just offered a firmware upgrade as a countermeasure but I can see nothing different in how the smtp client is presented in the web browser.

Is this security change really more about using MS Exchange for sending and receiving every day emails and not so much about using a copier for scan to email?
    As long as after the changeover the account used for scanning has SMTP AUTH permissions then there shouldn't be much of a change. That change will need to be made by the Exchange admin, not a technician.

Enable or disable SMTP AUTH in Exchange Online | Microsoft Learn

certified scrub 500+ Posts

Getting hit by this...

I am not a IT policy kinda person, w
    Whats the Quickest fix?

can I do 2fa for O365 like I do for Gmail?

Edit: but since I don't likely have access to their o365, push back to customer is the most likely scenario?
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    Getting hit by this...

Whats the Quickest fix?

Edit: but since I don't likely have access to their o365, push back to customer is the most likely scenario?
    ... unless your copier provider has recently made new firmware available to counter this new security requirement from Microsoft there is likely no easy fix.

This only sems to effect the rare customer who has POP3 enabled on their copiers using MS365.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    Getting hit by this...

Whats the Quickest fix?

Provide the link rthonpm posted to the customer's IT provider. It is already in their ballpark, your are just providing them with proper information from Microsoft If they do not have an IT administers their email accounts should know the credentials need to access their MS365 Administration Center.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... unless your copier provider has recently made new firmware available to counter this new security requirement from Microsoft there is likely no easy fix.

This only sems to effect the rare customer who has POP3 enabled on their copiers using MS365.
    This isn't a firmware issue: it's an account permission issue.

POP, IMAP, and SMTP access aren't required for 99% of all M365 accounts, so there's no need for them to be enabled.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

POP, IMAP, and SMTP access aren't required for 99% of all M365 accounts, so there's no need for them to be enabled.

I never had a customer want to receive email on their copier. Therefore I never enabled POP on any machine.

... and yet Toshiba recently released V1800 firmware to accommodate this new requirement by introducing a new drop down box in the POP3 web browser menu.