Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    An incorrect IP address is returned (nslookup)

Re: An incorrect IP address is returned (nslookup)

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Hopefully it would start at .2 as .1 would be the address for the device itself.

Overall, it's possible that every assignable address would be in the DHCP scope, but often if you're able to get into the web interface you can see how many addresses are set for assignment and if necessary change that setting.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I looked at the ipconfig /all I misinterpreted the dhcp address. Good information

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have had it that the MFP just forgot what DNS Server to use even though it was entered correctly. Flushing the DNS Server on the MFP, rewriting firmware and then re-enter the DNS Server solved this like 5 times already

Interesting side note to all of this. Comptia Security+ has this as one of the study topics. A bad guy will do what is called arp poisoning to gain a man in the middle attack. Lets say Ivan is the bad guy, he poisons the arp so when something is supposed to go to say Joyce's computer, it routes through Ivan's and is relayed onto Joyce's. When I read the initial post, that was the first thing I thought of. I guess my mind is closed to anything happening by accident anymore especially in national chains, there is so much evil in computers anymore. Security+ really opened my eyes to a lot of what is going on out there.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Just like any other group, a network is only as strong as its weakest endpoint.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I just had another flashback to a community college about 15 years ago. They were too lazy to set static ips for the printers, so they printed to hostname. Then someone made a network change. Each building had a printer1, so there were probably 10 printer1 hostnames on campus . Math dept ended printing to admin office etc. Still laugh over that one.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Nothing new to report but I used the IP address instead of the hostname and told the customer that they need to get someone to look into the problem. Haven't heard back from them so it must still be working. I might look into a little further the next time I'm over there.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Nothing new to report but I used the IP address instead of the hostname and told the customer that they need to get someone to look into the problem. Haven't heard back from them so it must still be working. I might look into a little further the next time I'm over there.

I'm having the same issue. Customer could scan using the host name for many years then could not. I tried all the suggestions in this thread. No luck. Most of my customers use a router for DHCP and DNS. I may never be able to figure it out. I'll have to go with the static address on the computer and DHCP reservation for that address.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adecanmin View Post
    I'm having the same issue. Customer could scan using the host name for many years then could not. I tried all the suggestions in this thread. No luck. Most of my customers use a router for DHCP and DNS. I may never be able to figure it out. I'll have to go with the static address on the computer and DHCP reservation for that address.

This customer of mine is a car lot and they, too, are using the ISP router for DNS and DHCP. I could fix the problem if I spent the time to do so, but they wouldn't want to pay for my time and I'm not into charity work.

PS - The majority of my customers are small and medium size businesses. Most of them know next to nothing about computer networks and I can explain things to them until I'm blue in the face but as long as it's working at the moment, they're not interested in correcting anything that may become a problem in the future.

I used to fix things for free that was outside of the service contract. I've pretty much stopped that.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Billy: I had a final thought that I haven't thought about for quite some time since I'm no longer part of IT like in previous company. Does their computer have network discovery turned on? Bet it is turned off.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Billy: I had a final thought that I haven't thought about for quite some time since I'm no longer part of IT like in previous company. Does their computer have network discovery turned on? Bet it is turned off.
    Network discovery died with SMB1. There are ways to turn it back on, but it's best left in the past...