Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    An incorrect IP address is returned (nslookup)

My customer's PC stopped scanning to folder. All the other PC's scanned just fine. It was only this one.

I was using the hostname when I initally set up scan to folder. It was working fine until today. I did a quick NSLOOKUP and it returned the wrong IP address for this PC. It was coming back as 192.168.0.43 but the correct IP address is 192.168.0.38.

I pinged the .43 address and the ping was successful. So, there's a device with that address.

Obviously, this isn't a copier problem. I changed the hostname in the copier to the IP address and scan to folder worked fine. But I don't like using IP address for scan to folder.

DNS was being done by the ISP router. I made sure no outside DNS was being used. I flushed DNS with no success. Still came back with wrong IP.

This problem is outside of the scope of the service contract. I noticed that there was a lot of network adaptors. I went as far as I wanted to go but it's bugging me.

Thoughts?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: An incorrect IP address is returned (nslookup)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    My customer's PC stopped scanning to folder. All the other PC's scanned just fine. It was only this one.

I was using the hostname when I initally set up scan to folder. It was working fine until today. I did a quick NSLOOKUP and it returned the wrong IP address for this PC. It was coming back as 192.168.0.43 but the correct IP address is 192.168.0.38.

I pinged the .43 address and the ping was successful. So, there's a device with that address.

Obviously, this isn't a copier problem. I changed the hostname in the copier to the IP address and scan to folder worked fine. But I don't like using IP address for scan to folder.

DNS was being done by the ISP router. I made sure no outside DNS was being used. I flushed DNS with no success. Still came back with wrong IP.

This problem is outside of the scope of the service contract. I noticed that there was a lot of network adaptors. I went as far as I wanted to go but it's bugging me.

Thoughts?
    May actually be a hostname conflict problem. Years ago we had a customer who bought about 10 computers at the same time. The NETBios names were the model of the CPU board followed by a serial number. The total number of characters was 2 digits longer than their Server 2008 stored in DNS. Result was 10 computers that anything using hostname though were the same and would error out.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    May actually be a hostname conflict problem. Years ago we had a customer who bought about 10 computers at the same time. The NETBios names were the model of the CPU board followed by a serial number. The total number of characters was 2 digits longer than their Server 2008 stored in DNS. Result was 10 computers that anything using hostname though were the same and would error out.

Hey, bro, that's interesting. Didn't think of that.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Check the local hosts file for the IP translation problem, this is attempted via NetBios Name Service before proceeding to DNS and part of the WINS/NetBIOS name resolution where DNS is not present.

"There are two main sequences used in almost all cases: NetBIOS resolution and Host name resolution. Clients connecting to resources on Microsoft servers, typically through Windows File Manager or Network Neighborhood, most often use NetBIOS name resolution."
    Microsoft TCP/IP Host Name Resolution Order

Here is a NBNS look-up broadcast from the MFP to the entire subnet (Frame 143) prior to a SMB scan to file (Note Frame 144 is the resolved name):
    NBNS.jpg

In Frame 144 the query response (answer) comes from the same workstation being scanned to (I am the droid you're looking for):
    NBNS_Answer.jpg

Disabling NetBIOS and WINS should force DNS look-up first on the MFP side
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar

I would have tried setting a static ip on the pc 192.168.0.240 (if available) and try smb scan to ip. Maybe an ip conflict or it is mapped to another ip?
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    Check the local hosts file for the IP translation problem, this is attempted via NetBios Name Service before proceeding to DNS and part of the WINS/NetBIOS name resolution where DNS is not present.

"There are two main sequences used in almost all cases: NetBIOS resolution and Host name resolution. Clients connecting to resources on Microsoft servers, typically through Windows File Manager or Network Neighborhood, most often use NetBIOS name resolution."
    Microsoft TCP/IP Host Name Resolution Order

Here is a NBNS look-up broadcast from the MFP to the entire subnet (Frame 143) prior to a SMB scan to file (Note Frame 144 is the resolved name):
    NBNS.jpg

In Frame 144 the query response (answer) comes from the same workstation being scanned to (I am the droid you're looking for):
    NBNS_Answer.jpg

Disabling NetBIOS and WINS should force DNS look-up first on the MFP side

I'll be the first to admit that I'm mostly ignorant when it comes to NetBios Name Resolution. I'm gonna make it a point to learn it this weekend. What you say makes perfect sense.

BTW: Your wireshark frame is interesting. I don't understand all of it, but from what I gather, a device (server?) sent out a broadcast (arp) looking to find out what device resides at an IP address and that device responded. Not really sure about the rest.

Thanks for the info. Always enjoy your posts.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

What you see in frame 143 and 144 is a NBNS query, functionally similar to a DNS query, except it is not destined for a specific host, but the network population for answer.

BTW: Your wireshark frame is interesting. I don't understand all of it, but from what I gather, a device (server?)
    It was the MFP scan to folder acting as a workstation peer and requesting the IP of the scan destination, this is a peer-to-peer modality
    sent out a broadcast (arp)
    It was a NBNS broadcast packet, but not ARP. While many ARP are broadcast, not all broadcast are ARP, plus ARP is MAC to IP mapping.
    looking to find out what device resides at an IP address and that device responded.
    The query is on the hostname (which I blacked out) and the answer (which happened to come from the hostname in question, but could have been in the LMhosts files of and answered by other PC's on the network) contains it's IP address.

Yeah spend some time on the MS article. I was born into the WINS loop for NetBIOS name resolution and used to muck around in 'hosts' and 'lmhosts' (remote machine table) files but you don't see it much anymore.

YVW and Happy Learning!
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I've had this problem before, even posted about it. I'll have to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP to see if I'm able to get those copiers scanning using the host name instead of the ip.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I always enjoy reading threads like this one.
    Unfortunately most of it passes way over my head.

Thanks! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I always enjoy reading threads like this one.
    Unfortunately most of it passes way over my head.

Thanks! =^..^=
    Now David you been around long enough to understand most of it.