Question Automatically update Canon Scan-To address books?

Hello, I am the IT Director for a small rural K-12 school district.

Is there some way to automatically pull staff email addresses from our Google GSuite/Workspace directory and populate the Scan-To address book on Canon Imagerunner copiers?

This doesn't seem like it should be that complicated, but it seems to end up being very complex.

I have looked into setting up an LDAP server but that apparently doesn't directly add names to the Canon quick-search A-Z address book. There's a long series of steps to access the remote LDAP server and then manually do a user search from the sluggish copier touch interface.

I have been moving in the direction that probably what I need to do is figure out the Canon address book format specification that can be exported from the web management console.

Then I would write a Powershell script that uses the Google Apps Manager (GAM) command line tool to search for staff accounts in certain organizational units, in our Google Workspaces directory.

This discovered user list would then be used to auto-generate a new address book file with the correct syntax, and auto-import it to all the Canon copiers every night.

This way when new staff are added in Google Workspaces, or old accounts are deactivated or deleted, they are then also automatically updated on all the Canon copier address books within 24 hours.

Due to the current ridiculously manual setup process needed for the copier address books, we have never bothered to add students by grade level on the Scan-To address books.

But if I had an automated mechanism to collect and dump them into the import file, then it may be worthwhile to also have the students available as individual scan-to destinations.

Except I don't see a way to automatically push a new address book file to the Canon copiers via a script. There is a way to import and export through the copier web interface, but I expect that I need a way to do this process from a command line connected to the copier.

The user-facing Canon product manuals don't talk about SSH but apparently it is an option hidden in the Canon service manuals. Though even then, I don't know if there is a way to import address books via the service SSH command line.

If there is a way to just individually add and delete user address book entries via SSH then that would be another way to do this via a script each night, without generating the address book import file.

I expect there is probably a way to fake the using the copier web management console via a Powershell script, to import the address book that way without SSH each night. But I don't know enough about scripted web scraping programming to make that work.

I would need to fake a user login and password to the copier's web management interface, and then retain the faked-page authentication state for the address book file import/upload step.

This should probably include support for also auto-updating address books on Ricoh and other multifunction copiers, but we only have Canon at this point, so that is all I would be able to test at the moment:

• Canon IRAC257IF
    • Canon IRAC3725I
    • Canon IRAC5840I
    • Canon IRAC7765I

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Automatically update Canon Scan-To address books?

I deal mainly with Ricoh equipment, but you can generally export an address book for any manufacturer to a file of some kind. Try adding a few dummy entries and see what the format of the export file is (my guess would be a CSV or XML). You may be able to then export the contents of your cloud directory into the same format and see if it will import correctly. It would still be a manual process to import, however how many accounts are you realistically making in a single day that couldn't as effectively be made weekly, regular intervals, or as needed during the term?

Overall, what you're looking to do is a little beyond most embedded operating systems. Copiers aren't exactly using a powerful instance of BSD or some other flavour of Unix, and often the same version of the OS is used over multiple generations of devices to ensure a stable platform.

It's also likely that there's print management software that may be able to give you additional hooks into the devices.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Automatically update Canon Scan-To address books?

This Google support document should help with exporting to a .cvs file.

Export, back up, or restore contacts - Computer - Contacts Help

Question Re: Automatically update Canon Scan-To address books?

Hmm, so there is a Canon Developer website, but apparently they have been irritated to death by consumer product users going to the wrong location for help, and have banned developer access from free email address domains like gmail, outlook, and so forth.

I work for a K-12 school so I'm in a Google education domain, and I can't tell if they don't allow me to access the developer site or if their security is just screwed up in some manner. I tried to register and immediately got an error message, "email could not be sent due to an error". Trying to contact them seems to be fruitless.

And apparently their HTTPS SSL certificate expired half a year ago and whoever maintains the developer website has not renewed it. Um lol?

https://www.developersupport.canon.com/

Would someone with access to this Canon developer website mind slipping me the ImageRunner Advance addressbook file specification to me under the table?

I won't mention you as the source, lol.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Automatically update Canon Scan-To address books?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mahalko View Post
    Hmm, so there is a Canon Developer website, but apparently they have been irritated to death by consumer product users going to the wrong location for help, and have banned developer access from free email address domains like gmail, outlook, and so forth.

I work for a K-12 school so I'm in a Google education domain, and I can't tell if they don't allow me to access the developer site or if their security is just screwed up in some manner. I tried to register and immediately got an error message, "email could not be sent due to an error". Trying to contact them seems to be fruitless.

And apparently their HTTPS SSL certificate expired half a year ago and whoever maintains the developer website has not renewed it. Um lol?

https://www.developersupport.canon.com/

Would someone with access to this Canon developer website mind slipping me the ImageRunner Advance addressbook file specification to me under the table?

I won't mention you as the source, lol.
    you mean this?

Address Book Items

I tried to post a reply but apparently it was not approved?

The address book export from a Canon Imagerunner Advance to share configuration between devices is not in CSV format but something all its own. So it is mysterious what the CSV file is for.

There may be additional invisible non-ASCII hexadecimal data that was stripped by Notepad:

/filter/TEMP/FILTER.BAK 664 177776 177776 331 0 7470 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><FilterSetting><FileForm VersionNumber="0200" SubAddressEntry="0" OrgCodePage="2" FileIndexCount="0" ModemdialinCount="0" FaxExtLineCount="0" ExpansionCount="0" /></FilterSetting>
    /filter/TEMP/ABOOK.BAK 664 177776 177776 55525 0 7415

# Canon AddressBook version: 1
    # CharSet: UTF-8
    # SubAddressBookName:
    # DB Version: 0x010a

subdbid: 1
    dn: 201
    uuid: c8853212-01e1-11ec-8000-349f7bd5e933
    cn: LastnameFirstname
    cnread: LastnameFirstname
    mailaddress: username@email.net
    enablepartial: false
    cnreadlang: en
    accesscode: 0
    protocol: smtp
    objectclass: top
    objectclass: extensibleobject
    objectclass: email
    Last edited by Dale Mahalko; 10-17-2022 at 05:54 PM. Reason: remove personally identifiable info