Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to Email - Some Users receive some do not

Re: Scan to Email - Some Users receive some do not

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    This is not an issue with the transmission reception of emails to/from any employee's computers. The issue is select employees appear to be suddenly blocked from receiving scan to email from the copier.

The plan on Monday is to test:

1. Make sure the copier's From Email address is in the local user's Exchange Safe Sender's list.
    2. Test a scan to this computer with Windows Defender turned briefly off
    3. Contact the MS365 provider and ask if they can check for anything unusual.
    Are you saying that the customer has to go through the provider to administer their MS365? They should have at least 1 employee or the owner that has administrative access to MS365 so they can make changes when there is a change in workforce.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    This is not an issue with the transmission reception of emails to/from any employee's computers. The issue is select employees appear to be suddenly blocked from receiving scan to email from the copier.

The plan on Monday is to test:

1. Make sure the copier's From Email address is in the local user's Exchange Safe Sender's list.
    2. Test a scan to this computer with Windows Defender turned briefly off
    3. Contact the MS365 provider and ask if they can check for anything unusual.
    If the users are all in the same email domain you shouldn't have to add them to the safe sender list. By default, all email addresses in the global directory are trusted.

Windows Defender won't delete or affect email delivery. It wouldn't be a factor until a user tried to open an attachment at which point it scans the file.

Likely, you'll need to reach out to someone with Exchange admin rights to get a real picture of what's going on. The Admin portal should be able to give you a better place to look.

It still seems more like a sending issue. Are they sending the email as themselves, or does the machine use its own email address?

How does it connect to M365 for SMTP?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    If the users are all in the same email domain you shouldn't have to add them to the safe sender list. By default, all email addresses in the global directory are trusted.

Windows Defender won't delete or affect email delivery. It wouldn't be a factor until a user tried to open an attachment at which point it scans the file.

Likely, you'll need to reach out to someone with Exchange admin rights to get a real picture of what's going on. The Admin portal should be able to give you a better place to look.

It still seems more like a sending issue. Are they sending the email as themselves, or does the machine use its own email address?

How does it connect to M365 for SMTP?

... Windows Defender, good point.

... the copier sends the email using it's own authentic email address but not from the domain of any employee in a manner similar to smtp.gmail.com.

... the copier does not connect to MS365. The users are all provisioned with MS365.

... I do have access to my own personal MS365 Admin Center. I cannot see email logs anywhere. Do you know where to look?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

My question would be are the users not getting the scans having issues with other emails as well? If the mfp says it is making the trip, then something likely blocking on their end. I have had emails tagged as spam if there is no subject/message in the email. On Kyoceras we used to put a subject of scanned to email by business name. In the message we used to say this scanner will not receive emails, it is outgoing emails only, please contact sender directly. We found that emails from a sender bearing only an attachment didn't make it through some securities. Larger businesses have layer 3 smart switches in addition to spam filters, and anti-virus programs which can filter this crap out. Since it is going to some recipients in the company, but not to others, I would say your job is done, it is up to their IT to find the issue, not up to you.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

I appreciate all of your responses.

In the end, without notice, as per usual, the local ISP increased their email security requirements.

Fortunately, I have a email account with the same ISP and a similar copier as the customer and was eventually able to find the solution.

So, rthonpm was correct, the issue was with the copier. The customer IT Admin (not qualified but the designated guy) did not have a clue about browsing MS365 logs.

Many SMB customers are highly reliant on scan to email and when this goes down, they get excited. Just not interested in changing their ways to scan to a network folder, USB drive, copier's hard drive or Cloud folder.

All performed at No Charge under a cpc contract because the customer is upgrading to a new similar copier this week.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

It sounds like you were in a situation that we outright stopped supporting where the copier uses an email address in a different domain from the users. We had several customers using an ISP email address to scan while their own email addresses used their own company domain. This led to several issues:

1. Inconsistent configuration as one of the two providers would make a change that broke something (sounds like your situation)

2. Scans to customers being ignored. The customer is used to emails from bob@company.com and then receives emails from company@isp-email.net which they just delete as they think it's a phishing email or something potentially malicious.

Microsoft has made it ridiculously cheap to get a basic M365 account with an Exchange email account that almost any company can afford it. This puts all of their email, internal or external, under a single domain and a single set of standards that makes troubleshooting much easier.

In the instance you had there would be no place to check any logs as ISP support is generally not going to give you access to any meaningful information.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    It sounds like you were in a situation that we outright stopped supporting where the copier uses an email address in a different domain from the users. We had several customers using an ISP email address to scan while their own email addresses used their own company domain. This led to several issues:

1. Inconsistent configuration as one of the two providers would make a change that broke something (sounds like your situation)

2. Scans to customers being ignored. The customer is used to emails from bob@company.com and then receives emails from company@isp-email.net which they just delete as they think it's a phishing email or something potentially malicious.

Microsoft has made it ridiculously cheap to get a basic M365 account with an Exchange email account that almost any company can afford it. This puts all of their email, internal or external, under a single domain and a single set of standards that makes troubleshooting much easier.

In the instance you had there would be no place to check any logs as ISP support is generally not going to give you access to any meaningful information.

... the customer is usually scanning to themselves from the copier's address book and then repurposing the email or attachment.

... even when the scan is leaving the business to a different domain, I ensure the email's default body string clearly identifies the Sender and has the pre-approval of the customer. I get very few complaints and very few emails are ignored.

... yet, I do acknowledge that your policies are superior in terms of information security than mine.