Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Scan to Email - Some Users receive some do not

I have a current Toshiba e2000AC A3 color copier at latest firmware where MS365 Exchange is used for scan to email.

Everything was working A-OK for years but now select workers in a workgroup of 10 people cannot receive scan to emails from the copier. If I scan to email to myself, I will receive the email.

I checked the time, DNS, Host name, NetBios Name, Default Subject, Default Body String are all filled out correctly.

The scan log says the scans successfully leave the copier but they never arrive. They are not in Junk mail and I made the copier’s From Address a Safe Sender in Outlook.

I have used several different known working SMTP client set ups and the result is the same.

I have the effected users temporarily scanning to a network folder shortcut on their desktop.

Do you think this might be an Exchange issue that they need to get checked with the MS365 provider?

Re: Scan to Email - Some Users receive some do not

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    I have a Toshiba e2000AC A3 color copier at latest firmware where MS365 Exchange is used for scan to email.

Everything was working A-OK for years but now select workers in a workgroup of 10 people cannot receive scan to emails from the copier. If I scan to email to myself, I will receive the email.

I checked the time, DNS, Host name, NetBios Name, Default Subject, Default Body String are all filled out correctly.

The scan log says the scans successfully leave the copier but they never arrive. They are not in Junk mail and I made the copier’s From Address a Safe Sender in Outlook.

I have used several different known working SMTP client set ups and the result is the same.

I have the effected users temporarily scanning to a network folder shortcut on their desktop.

Do you think this might be an Exchange issue that they need to get checked with the MS365 provider?
    Yep most likely MS thinks it's spam mail

... the missing emails do not arrive in the Junk/SPAM folder. I have made the from Address from the copier a Safe Sender on the effected PCs.

I do think the issue is a security issue somewhere in Outlook.

I checked each PC but there was no obvious Antivirus or Malware software loaded.

I never thought until now to temporarily turn off MS Defender.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

While not likely, make sure nobody tried to sneak in a third-party firewall.

I once went nuts with a similar situation where the “on-demand” IT guy quietly added a SonicWall firewall, and it was hidden well out of sight. I only found out about it after asking the office manager if anything had been added, removed or changed. She opened the cabinet it was well hidden in, and asked “Do you think this could be an issue?”.

Once the IT guy opened the correct ports, life was good again.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

... the missing emails do not arrive in the Junk/SPAM folder. I have made the from Address from the copier a Safe Sender on the effected PCs.

I do think the issue is a security issue somewhere in Outlook.

I checked each PC but there was no obvious Antivirus or Malware software loaded.

I never thought until now to temporarily turn off MS Defender.
    Why don't you compare the account settings on the MS365 server of someone who is having problems and someone has no problem. Also it they are using a specific account as the default sender but that account is only used for that and not monitored by anyone, check that account for bounce back messages.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Why don't you compare the account settings on the MS365 server of someone who is having problems and someone has no problem. Also it they are using a specific account as the default sender but that account is only used for that and not monitored by anyone, check that account for bounce back messages.
    Ive also had it happen where the sent items box of the sending account had filled the account to its limit, disabling sending.

Once we logged in to that account and dumped all those messages out, all was well.

Of course, that would only make sense if the sending accounts were different between the working and non-working users.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Ive also had it happen where the sent items box of the sending account had filled the account to its limit, disabling sending.

Once we logged in to that account and dumped all those messages out, all was well.

Of course, that would only make sense if the sending accounts were different between the working and non-working users.
    Like the working accounts using their own account as the sender and the non-working accounts using the default. He did say everything was working for years then quit.

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post

... I am confident the copier's SMTP Client has not exceeded it's sending capacity because I can send the same email to my business MS365 account and it arrives within seconds.

I think it is unlikely that the customer's email InBox has overflowed it's capacity limits. I can send an email from my laptop, not via the copier, to the customer's Inbox and it arrives quickly.

Whatever happened, it just started happening in the last couple of days. No new technology has been added to the customer's premises in the last many months. No new servers, no new routers, no new internet providers, no new software.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

... I am confident the copier's SMTP Client has not exceeded it's sending capacity because I can send the same email to my business MS365 account and it arrives within seconds.

I think it is unlikely that the customer's email InBox has overflowed it's capacity limits. I can send an email from my laptop, not via the copier, to the customer's Inbox and it arrives quickly.

Whatever happened, it just started happening in the last couple of days. No new technology has been added to the customer's premises in the last many months. No new servers, no new routers, no new internet providers, no new software.
    Do all the employees use the same sending account or do some of them use their own MS365 account as the sending account. When you tested it did you use the default sending account or did you use your own MS365 account as the sending account. If they have a Default sender setup, does anyone at the company receive emails to that account on a daily basis? Has anyone logged in to the MS365 server to check setting there on check for any error messages?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Do all the employees use the same sending account or do some of them use their own MS365 account as the sending account. When you tested it did you use the default sending account or did you use your own MS365 account as the sending account. If they have a Default sender setup, does anyone at the company receive emails to that account on a daily basis? Has anyone logged in to the MS365 server to check setting there on check for any error messages?
    This is not an issue with the transmission reception of emails to/from any employee's computers. The issue is select employees appear to be suddenly blocked from receiving scan to email from the copier.

The plan on Monday is to test:

1. Make sure the copier's From Email address is in the local user's Exchange Safe Sender's list.
    2. Test a scan to this computer with Windows Defender turned briefly off
    3. Contact the MS365 provider and ask if they can check for anything unusual.