Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Remote application for Excel

Re: Remote application for Excel

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    I dont know about the US, but in Germany we are required by law to document every change made to a system with exact date and time if possible. Plus a Server still provides Logs by itself. Only time there would be no logs is when i do a fresh installation but then atleast someonese else knows, if.not my comoany and the customer both.
    Also, the chances of a drive by shooting should be much lower in Germany����

Reverse Engineering is not allowed by license of i'd say all Products out there. Doing so would be a crime which i will not promote on this website...
    Many years ago while my daughter was working on her BS in Computer Science, she worked part time for a local software company that provided support for and held the Copyright for a Unix based dealership management software used by Ford dealerships. The engineer who originally wrote the software was no longer with the company and when Ford wanted some changes made, they discovered that he had left no documentation and could not be contacted. My daughter had to reverse engineer the software, determine what needed to be done to achieve the changes that Ford wanted, implement those changes, install the updated system on nix box in her office, alpha test the updated system, install it at the local Ford dealership for Beta testing, document everything she had to do and then implement its installation across the nation.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Remote application for Excel

Re: Remote application for Excel

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Many years ago while my daughter was working on her BS in Computer Science, she worked part time for a local software company that provided support for and held the Copyright for a Unix based dealership management software used by Ford dealerships. The engineer who originally wrote the software was no longer with the company and when Ford wanted some changes made, they discovered that he had left no documentation and could not be contacted. My daughter had to reverse engineer the software, determine what needed to be done to achieve the changes that Ford wanted, implement those changes, install the updated system on nix box in her office, alpha test the updated system, install it at the local Ford dealership for Beta testing, document everything she had to do and then implement its installation across the nation.
    Well thats the difference, they have had the copyright for it, meaning they are allowed to make changes. As a Enterprise Customer/Reseller, you do not own those rights and that is why you are not allowed to reverse engineer these. Also they must have had the source code anyways, so there should not be too much "reverse engineering" but more likely "reading through the code"