Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Remote application for Excel

Customer wants to be able to work on/modify Excel sheets and Word files from 3 locations. What do you guys advise using, Office 365 or other?

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Remote application for Excel

Collaborate on the files or just be able to access them from different locations? If the latter, any shared cloud drive will work using Office 365 or any emulator like Open Office. If they want to collaborate, they will need to Microsoft Teams or a similar cloud collaboration platform. Teams allows using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Visio. Visio does require a license for editing.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks
    Customer said in the past that he needs to collaborate between his office and home where his hottie is sitting doing home office for him. However, he is in a new situation now, and I could imagine that things has changed. Hottie is coming more often to the office these days.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Collaborate on the files or just be able to access them from different locations? If the latter, any shared cloud drive will work using Office 365 or any emulator like Open Office. If they want to collaborate, they will need to Microsoft Teams or a similar cloud collaboration platform. Teams allows using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Visio. Visio does require a license for editing.
    Microsoft has added the Visio web app as part of most subscriptions. It only works with files stored in OneDrive, Teams, or SharePoint online (really all the same thing).

As cheap as the subscription is for what you get, especially for business accounts, it's going to be the best option.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

For additional information, please post pictures of Hottie.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    For additional information, please post pictures of Hottie.
    Here is a full stack of them.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Customer wants to be able to work on/modify Excel sheets and Word files from 3 locations. What do you guys advise using, Office 365 or other?

Hans
    I am using Nextcloud and Onlyoffice for this. Customers have been very happy with this Solution. You can install a Onlyoffice Document Server for free and use that to allow collaborating on all documents. Best thing is that onlyoffice hast like 99% compatiblity to MS Office Products

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    I am using Nextcloud and Onlyoffice for this. Customers have been very happy with this Solution. You can install a Onlyoffice Document Server for free and use that to allow collaborating on all documents. Best thing is that onlyoffice hast like 99% compatiblity to MS Office Products
    What's your support on that? Uptime requirements? Does it meet regulatory requirements for security? Not that it can't be a good solution, but not many businesses really want to roll their own solution.

In my experience, chasing free solutions often ends up being more expensive than just going with a paid provider of some kind.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    What's your support on that? Uptime requirements? Does it meet regulatory requirements for security? Not that it can't be a good solution, but not many businesses really want to roll their own solution.

In my experience, chasing free solutions often ends up being more expensive than just going with a paid provider of some kind.

In terms of Security: It passes the DSGVO (German Data Privacy regulations) which Operating Systems like Microsoft Windows or Apple IOS do no pass. Everything else in terms of security setup is up to you how good you can secure a webserver (It is basically nothing more than a webserver).

The great thing about Onlyoffice is that it has a familiar GUI to a well known Microsoft Product
    Nextcloud can be customized to what you need it to be: Meeting Platform, Fileserver, Task Scheduling, Project Managing, Time Managing, I think even inventory Management would be possible.
    I am contributing Solutions to Problems in regards of Security and Performance directly to the official GitHub Repos / Projects.
    Bug Hunting is being paid realy nice and fast on nextcloud and onlyoffice, especially if you compare them to the bughunting programs of Google and Microsoft (They either deny the issues or delay your payment by months, the first one more likely).

Not too sure what you meant with:
    "What's your support on that?"
    and
    "Uptime requirements?"

I always try to update as fast as possible but put Major Version Updates at a point where most of the company is on vacation or has days off because after major Updates there might be a few problems popping up. To reduce the Problems its your best bet to wait 1-2 Weeks before pushing out Updates.
    About Uptime requirements:
    To give you a dimension: I have a 40-50 User Enviroment Setup on an Intel I5 10th Gen with 32GB of Ram and a 4TB Raid on a "normal" Gigabit Speed connection. Works like a charm even if they all work at the same time. Thinking about Upgrading to a new CPU though as i do not like my Systems to have more than 60% Usage at all time high.

Hope i answered your Questions?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    Not too sure what you meant with:
    "What's your support on that?"
    and
    "Uptime requirements?"
    Does the software company offer 24/7 product support?