Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Windows 11 Update 22H2

Windows 11 Update 22H2

Access Control Panel options from the Settings app

In a recent update for Windows 11, we started moving some settings from Control Panel to the Settings app.

• The following settings have been moved from Control Panel to the Settings app:
      • Programs & Features
      • Devices & Printers
      • Default programs
      • VPN and Advanced sharing settings

• Note: If you try to access these settings in Control Panel, you might be redirected to the Settings app.
    • Where can I find my Devices & Printers settings?
    • You can now manage your devices and printers in the Settings app. Here's what you can do:
      • To access extended device information and third-party extensions, select Start > Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Devices > More devices and printer settings.
      • To access detailed printer information, select Start > Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Printers & scanners > Printer model > Device information.
      • For more printer device info and third-party printer extensions, select Start > Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Printers & scanners > Printer model > More devices and printer settings.

• Note: Device and printer hardware properties can also be accessed from Device Manager.

... this bomb kind of dropped out of the sky from Microsoft so expect a rocky few weeks from your customers and a quick re-learning about how you install and manage print drivers.

Not so bad with IP printers but troublesome for USB printers.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Windows 11 Update 22H2

I'm average Windows user but does M$ dropped Search function? I use it all the time instead of having to learn all the changes they made to new versions. It may sound silly but I don't give a sh!t where exactly Devices and Printers are as long typing word print in Search field works.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Windows 11 Update 22H2

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Access Control Panel options from the Settings app

In a recent update for Windows 11, we started moving some settings from Control Panel to the Settings app.

• The following settings have been moved from Control Panel to the Settings app:
      • Programs & Features
      • Devices & Printers
      • Default programs
      • VPN and Advanced sharing settings

• Note: If you try to access these settings in Control Panel, you might be redirected to the Settings app.
    • Where can I find my Devices & Printers settings?
    • You can now manage your devices and printers in the Settings app. Here's what you can do:
      • To access extended device information and third-party extensions, select Start > Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Devices > More devices and printer settings.
      • To access detailed printer information, select Start > Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Printers & scanners > Printer model > Device information.
      • For more printer device info and third-party printer extensions, select Start > Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Printers & scanners > Printer model > More devices and printer settings.

• Note: Device and printer hardware properties can also be accessed from Device Manager.

... this bomb kind of dropped out of the sky from Microsoft so expect a rocky few weeks from your customers and a quick re-learning about how you install and manage print drivers.

Not so bad with IP printers but troublesome for USB printers.
    I'll have to look into this but shouldnt that mean that i can more easily set the printers via powershell now? In general, Things found under settings are easier to access and use than things in cp.
    If this is the case i can probably throw away 2k lines of code and finally release the tool bc it will work proper

Windows 11 Update 22H2

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    I'll have to look into this but shouldnt that mean that i can more easily set the printers via powershell now? In general, Things found under settings are easier to access and use than things in cp.
    If this is the case i can probably throw away 2k lines of code and finally release the tool bc it will work proper
    ... perhaps, I and probably 99% of the service techs out there do not have a clue what you are talking about.

I have been trying to familiarize myself with the new format that Microsoft forced upon everyone. You do not want to learn how to navigate the new structure in the field for the first time in front of a customer.

There is one constant in this industry and that is learn or die.

Most A3 copiers are connected as an IP printer and some A4 copiers especially those in lower price points are connected as USB printers.

I have been able to get the Toshiba Universal 2 print driver to work as an IP printer and the Toshiba/Lexmark HBP printer driver to work via USB cable.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Honestly, I haven't installed a printer through the Control Panel in years. It's generally easier to just run printmanagement.msc and do everything through there. It's especially helpful if you need to pre-stage drivers or if you want to clean out old drivers without futzing around with multiple other tools or trash registry cleaners. It's also great when you need to add a driver to a remote computer as if it's on the same LAN and your account has admin rights, you can connect to the print manager of another computer.

Overall I'm glad Microsoft is finally getting all of their settings into a single place instead of having to go three or four places to make changes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Update 22H2

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Honestly, I haven't installed a printer through the Control Panel in years. It's generally easier to just run printmanagement.msc and do everything through there. It's especially helpful if you need to pre-stage drivers or if you want to clean out old drivers without futzing around with multiple other tools or trash registry cleaners. It's also great when you need to add a driver to a remote computer as if it's on the same LAN and your account has admin rights, you can connect to the print manager of another computer.

Overall I'm glad Microsoft is finally getting all of their settings into a single place instead of having to go three or four places to make changes.

I will check that out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel17 View Post
    Such a lovely post. Thanks for sharing! Chevrolet Sherwood Park
    Thanks for the spam.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Windows 11 Update 22H2

Quote Originally Posted by jinji View Post
    And in general, if we consider the best manufacturers, which ones would you consider the best? For example, if we're talking about MAC, which ones are cheaper and better in terms of features? I'm looking at this comparison here Comparisons, analytics, top rankings from RankQuality.com, but I'm not sure yet
    Go to hell spammer.

Quote Originally Posted by jinji View Post
    And in general, if we consider the best manufacturers, which ones would you consider the best? For example, if we're talking about MAC, which ones are cheaper and better in terms of features? I'm looking at this comparison here Comparisons, analytics, top rankings from RankQuality.com, but I'm not sure yet
    And with nonsense like this on the rise, it seems that our little corner of the world is slowly beginning to die off.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Windows 11 Update 22H2

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post

Hiya,
    What do you need to jump onto the remote pc? Is it \\ip address or computername?
    How do you add the driver? Please describe this process if you don't mind, thanks.