Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Cloning hard drives?

Re: Cloning hard drives?

Copy over Network is still a thing.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    Copy over Network is still a thing.
    It's considerably slower though. Any USB3 or e-SATA adapter is going to give you considerably faster throughput. I did plenty of Acronis to network drive backups in the past. It took long enough with 40-80 GB drives, I'd hate to see what it takes with a 256 GB or higher drive. You then have the issue of doing a restore back to the new drive. It's much cleaner and faster to do a direct transfer from source drive to target drive.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Cloning hard drives?

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    It's considerably slower though. Any USB3 or e-SATA adapter is going to give you considerably faster throughput. I did plenty of Acronis to network drive backups in the past. It took long enough with 40-80 GB drives, I'd hate to see what it takes with a 256 GB or higher drive. You then have the issue of doing a restore back to the new drive. It's much cleaner and faster to do a direct transfer from source drive to target drive.
    Well this is all hardwares fault. Put in a good Network, backup server will have cat 7 cables and be able to trandfer with 10 gig. Best thing is i dont have to do anything, backups are done automatically every night.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Cloning hard drives?

Well this is all hardwares fault. Put in a good Network, backup server will have cat 7 cables and be able to trandfer with 10 gig. Best thing is i dont have to do anything, backups are done automatically every night.
    Cat7 specification is a proprietary standard developed by a group of companies. It is not an IEEE standard and is not approved by TIA/EIA. Considering the fact that USB 3.1/SuperSpeed interfaces, devices and cables will also support 10 Gbps data transfer rates.

In addition USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) recently released the specifications for the new USB4 capable of 80 Gbps. https://usb.org/sites/default/files/...t_FINAL_v2.pdf

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Cloning hard drives?

Cat7 specification is a proprietary standard developed by a group of companies. It is not an IEEE standard and is not approved by TIA/EIA.
    Interesting to know, never knew. Thanks for that info.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Cloning hard drives?

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Interesting to know, never knew. Thanks for that info.

Hans
    I did some quick searches this morning.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

So rip out miles of cabling, replace it all with brand new cables, upgrade any routers or switches in between to new ones with 10 GB connections, then upgrade the NIC's in the servers and clients as well. Seems like a lot of time and money for that particular solution.

It's all well and good to have a server with 10 GB NIC's, but if the rest of the infrastructure doesn't support it, you're still using a 1 GB connection across the pipe.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Cloning hard drives?

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    So rip out miles of cabling, replace it all with brand new cables, upgrade any routers or switches in between to new ones with 10 GB connections, then upgrade the NIC's in the servers and clients as well. Seems like a lot of time and money for that particular solution.

It's all well and good to have a server with 10 GB NIC's, but if the rest of the infrastructure doesn't support it, you're still using a 1 GB connection across the pipe.

Thanks for saying that. All I could do was shake my head when I read it.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Cloning hard drives?

I'll just drop this in here.

A while back I started advertising that we do computer repair and we're getting a lot of laptop repairs. This continues to be a learning experience. Nothing too hard but there are a lot of delicate connectors and caution is needed.

Today I got in a HP Envy 360. This is a very thin laptop with a 15" OLED HD touch screen.

When the customer brought it in the screen was cracked and needed to be replaced. I looked the screen up by the part number and almost ordered it. It cost a little over $200. But something told me to call my friend who is a computer expert and I'm glad I did. It turns out that this particular model has 3-variations of screen for the same model laptop. The only difference is that the connectors are in a different spot on the screen. You must order the right one.

Otherwise, this is a pretty easy repair and doesn't take much time.

PS - I also invested in a magnifying glass with a light that is mounted on an adjustable stand. I needed to be able to see all the small connectors and parts. But it's kind of awkward, so I invested in a :

101Color Head Mount Magnifier Glasses with Detachable Ultra Bright LED Head Lamp - 5 Interchangeable Lenses: 1.0X, 1.5X, 2.0X, 2.5X, 3.5X Magnification

Amazon.com: 101Color Head Mount Magnifier Glasses with Detachable Ultra Bright LED Head Lamp - 5 Interchangeable Lenses: 1.0X, 1.5X, 2.0X, 2.5X, 3.5X Magnification : Health & Household
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Cloning hard drives?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    PS - I also invested in a magnifying glass with a light that is mounted on an adjustable stand. I needed to be able to see all the small connectors and parts. But it's kind of awkward, so I invested in a :

101Color Head Mount Magnifier Glasses with Detachable Ultra Bright LED Head Lamp - 5 Interchangeable Lenses: 1.0X, 1.5X, 2.0X, 2.5X, 3.5X Magnification

Amazon.com: 101Color Head Mount Magnifier Glasses with Detachable Ultra Bright LED Head Lamp - 5 Interchangeable Lenses: 1.0X, 1.5X, 2.0X, 2.5X, 3.5X Magnification : Health & Household
    I have always used a goose-neck mounted magnifying glass with attached lamp. Years ago they used a circline fluorescent bulbs but now use LED arrays.