Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Duplicate printer IP address

Just yesterday had a call from IT guy that machine (KM in this case if that matters) stopped to print.
    They checked driver, port, cable, etc. There was ping reply but no printer web page interface. I told them try to scan to email which he thinks was failing either but upon last attempt he saw message on machine that job failed due to duplicate IP I was on the phone and we run advanced IP scanner (after turning Off the machine) which found some PC taking over machine IP. Lesson again and again learned... never trust customers
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Duplicate printer IP address

The first time this came up for me, it was a Copystar VoyagerE. The endusers told me that they could send print jobs all day, and nothing would print. Then around 1545 in the afternoon all the print jobs would come pouring out of the machine.

It took only a few minutes to unplug the network cable and connect my laptop there. NetScan revealed that yes, there as a laptop using that IP. Later on I found out that it was an employees personal laptop with a static IP set, that happened to be within range of the existing wireless router.

I think the reaction of the on-staff IT guy was the funniest part. He said: "That's impossible! I assign the IP's and I didn't assign that to any laptop!" "NetScan tells me the MAC address is: xx..., according to my list it's a xxx branded laptop. I can't tell you where it's at, but I can tell you it's still on the network now." =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 11-26-2022 at 06:18 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I had the same thing at a county water agency office in Tehachapi. It was a new install and their new local Tehachapi IT had given me an IP address to use, in the past we had always just used the same IP as the machine being replaced. He had me change the address, twice, and the same with all 3. FYI, all 3 were in consecutive order. He hadn't been onsite yet so I used a couple of network tools and discovered there was a WAN setup using those 3 addresses for remote access. Kern County Information Services, who had been doing the IT previously, had set it up to allow them to administer the network and allow the main county water agency to check daily reports.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Just yesterday had a call from IT guy that machine (KM in this case if that matters) stopped to print.
    They checked driver, port, cable, etc. There was ping reply but no printer web page interface. I told them try to scan to email which he thinks was failing either but upon last attempt he saw message on machine that job failed due to duplicate IP I was on the phone and we run advanced IP scanner (after turning Off the machine) which found some PC taking over machine IP. Lesson again and again learned... never trust customers
    Thats why you configure DHCP Ranges and put the machine outside of that range + have a documenation on hand for the non-dhcp ranges

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    Thats why you configure DHCP Ranges and put the machine outside of that range + have a documenation on hand for the non-dhcp ranges
    And you still have the problem of someone connecting their personal laptop using a manually address that is the same as the MFP.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    And you still have the problem of someone connecting their personal laptop using a manually address that is the same as the MFP.
    They should have reserved in DHCP IP addresses of MFPs by their MAC address which they didn't... till now.
    I think this is among simple best practices of IT staff but who em I
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts larweedad's Avatar

I had one where copier said ip in use. Turned out that the person in charge took a 2 week vacation. when they were in the office no printing. They leave it prints. They standing next to me. Their phone picked up the copiers IP when the came back from vacation.

Nope. Well, if you're doing very basic static IP via the said Machines / Computers then yes. I am talking about proper Static IP via Firewall/DHCP Server or Router. These things will bind a IP Address to an MAC Address which cannot be doubled.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    Nope. Well, if you're doing very basic static IP via the said Machines / Computers then yes. I am talking about proper Static IP via Firewall/DHCP Server or Router. These things will bind a IP Address to an MAC Address which cannot be doubled.
    Many times an employee connecting their personal laptop don't have permission to do so and as such do not want to get an address automatically as it would then show up in the DHCP log.

Many times an employee connecting their personal laptop don't have permission to do so and as such do not want to get an address automatically as it would then show up in the DHCP log.
    For personal Devices, there will always be a guest network for as long as i am around. There, they can fight over any ip address they want with themselves but i dont care if they say "ip x is blocked". No personal device has anything to do in a companies network. NEVER. Had seen way too many companies been hacked because a Employees private Notebook got hacked and they shared files from that notebook with colleagues. That is kind of like putting the banks safe key next to the door.
    If they need a static IP in that Guest Network for their device for whatever reason no problem, i'll add that.