Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mac Printing

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: Mac Printing

Here is a resource to learn about FTP on MAC. It shows a Finder method, a Terminal method, and some software which can ease the process (not required though)

How to Use FTP on Mac: Step-by-Step Guide | Commander One

FTP transfer is not 'Direct IP' printing, nor is it truly a print operation from the MAC's perspective. No spooler involvement. You do not open the file in any application nor have any print options to select. It is a straight up file transfer/file copy

Be aware that the command PUT <filepath/filename> requires no destination folder, just the path/name of the file to be sent.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CoreyAbels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Have you tried calling the PaperCut help desk? You do have the PaperCut software installed on the Mac?
    Yes sir, I have contacted the PaperCut support team, however one of my first steps was bypassing PaperCut entirely. The Macbooks are direct IP printing and using the PaperCut Client as the method of assigning prints to the proper account. Thus, the jobs are spooling on the Macbook and only touching the PaperCut server after the job is spooled to ask what account the job is assigned to. The problem seems to be a cut and dried Mac issue; and I have yet to find any type of configuration method that changes the print spool output to offload the print job AS it spools not AFTER it spools while still keeping the PaperCut server in the loop so that the user can track print output. The customer needs to bill clients accordingly and in a law office this is not optional LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    Here is a resource to learn about FTP on MAC. It shows a Finder method, a Terminal method, and some software which can ease the process (not required though)

How to Use FTP on Mac: Step-by-Step Guide | Commander One

FTP transfer is not 'Direct IP' printing, nor is it truly a print operation from the MAC's perspective. No spooler involvement. You do not open the file in any application nor have any print options to select. It is a straight up file transfer/file copy

Be aware that the command PUT <filepath/filename> requires no destination folder, just the path/name of the file to be sent.
    This is quite interesting. You can essentially transfer the file, via FTP, to the copier (HDD), bypassing the print driver/spooler altogether? You would then be beholden to however the copier is set to process print jobs (Color, Duplex, Etc)?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Mac Printing

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyAbels View Post
    Yes sir, I have contacted the PaperCut support team, however one of my first steps was bypassing PaperCut entirely. The Macbooks are direct IP printing and using the PaperCut Client as the method of assigning prints to the proper account. Thus, the jobs are spooling on the Macbook and only touching the PaperCut server after the job is spooled to ask what account the job is assigned to. The problem seems to be a cut and dried Mac issue; and I have yet to find any type of configuration method that changes the print spool output to offload the print job AS it spools not AFTER it spools while still keeping the PaperCut server in the loop so that the user can track print output. The customer needs to bill clients accordingly and in a law office this is not optional LOL
    You never replied to my first question. The Apple Support Community is a group of Apple users. It is highly likely that at least one of them will be able to tell you how to set the spool to start printing immediately.

Have you tried posting a question to the Apple Support Community? Be sure to mention that you want it to start printing immediately. Official Apple Support Community

You never replied to my first question. The Apple Support Community is a group of Apple users. It is highly likely that at least one of them will be able to tell you how to set the spool to start printing immediately.
    I did reply to your first question, I have posted to the Apple Support Community since then, and I have not received any replies or input yet. Thank you!