Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mac Printing

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CoreyAbels's Avatar

Mac Printing

Good morning gentleman,

Do we have any Mac or CUPS experts on here? I have some questions about Mac print spooling vs Windows print spooling. Thanks guys!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Mac Printing

What are you looking to find out? There are a few of us that have experience with CUPS and standard Windows printing. You can always add your Macs to a Windows print server as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    What are you looking to find out? There are a few of us that have experience with CUPS and standard Windows printing. You can always add your Macs to a Windows print server as well.
    Thank you for the reply! Here is my overarching question, is there a way to setup a MacBook to print AS it is spooling similar to the way a Windows device does?

A little context: I have a customer in a fully Mac office who prints legal exhibits to a Kyocera TA 8353ci. As anyone who has been in a law office knows, these exhibits are almost always in PDF form and can be quite large in size. The file in question, is a 2gb 5k page exhibit PDF. It will print all day long from Windows PC because it is printing as it is spooling. However, on the Mac it tries to spool the entire job on the Mac before sending ANY data to the copier. On our office MacBook it spooled up 1800 pages at a file size of 64gb before it ran out of system memory.

I have tried multiple protocols (LPD, HP Socket, and IPP), I have tried printing through a shared Windows print que as well, with no change.

Any insight or direction you can provide would me most appreciated (apologies if the terminology is incorrect)!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Mac Printing

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyAbels View Post
    Thank you for the reply! Here is my overarching question, is there a way to setup a MacBook to print AS it is spooling similar to the way a Windows device does?

A little context: I have a customer in a fully Mac office who prints legal exhibits to a Kyocera TA 8353ci. As anyone who has been in a law office knows, these exhibits are almost always in PDF form and can be quite large in size. The file in question, is a 2gb 5k page exhibit PDF. It will print all day long from Windows PC because it is printing as it is spooling. However, on the Mac it tries to spool the entire job on the Mac before sending ANY data to the copier. On our office MacBook it spooled up 1800 pages at a file size of 64gb before it ran out of system memory.

I have tried multiple protocols (LPD, HP Socket, and IPP), I have tried printing through a shared Windows print que as well, with no change.

Any insight or direction you can provide would me most appreciated (apologies if the terminology is incorrect)!
    Have you tried posting a question to the Apple Support Community? Be sure to mention that you want it to start printing immediately. Official Apple Support Community

Not yet, but I will pose the question there as well. Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

That's been a common issue with CUPS for years. There used to be a couple of additional commands you could add to an IPP connection to tell it not to wait, however who knows if they still work.

Beyond Apple support, you may also want to try Linux support sites as CUPS is identical whether it's installed on a Mac or Linux system.

Have you also looked at potentially trying to shrink the size of the PDF's? I had a legal as a client that would get massive PDFs of scanned documents. Even with Windows they would get similar issues to yours where the files would be massive. Using a full version of Acrobat, we were able to flatten the files and reduce the size by choosing the option to save as a reduced size PDF. The files were then smaller and often printed considerably faster. It may not be possible in all cases, as they often received files with some kind of security permissions applied that would prevent them from doing anything with the files.

Also make sure your drivers are current on the Mac and if possible that you're using a Postscript driver.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Mac Printing

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyAbels View Post

The TA8353ci is a current high end 83 cpm model from Kyocera. Have you reached out to their Tech support Dept for their thoughts on how to best configure their print driver.

7353ci/8353ci OSX Installer (8.9102)

• 6 MB
    • ZIP

Kyocera Mac Print Driver

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Mac Printing

Capture.jpg

Have you tried to print the PDF with the 'Print as Image' tickbox in Advanced?
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzoo View Post
    Capture.jpg

Have you tried to print the PDF with the 'Print as Image' tickbox in Advanced?
    That normally makes the file size even larger.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Have you tried to LPR the PDF directly to the printer, either from a command line or by using a downloader utility?

It will bypass the driver completely, and most likely the spool file on the Mac.

If that works, you can then hammer out how to set any finishing options, such as duplex.

PDFs don’t normally require a driver when sent to most (not all) PostScript printers.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins