Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    How to Install a Printer Driver (Guide) (WIP)

Hey techs,

i've seen this Post from rthonpm but as i cant seem to find anything related to this from him, i figured that i'd create this guide myself.
    Please Note that there are multiple ways of installing Printer Drivers due to hundreds of different Windows Versions and differences in Enviroments. I'll try my best to cover the most up to date ways.
    I have left out the approach via settings on windows 11 because i did not find this to work reliable.

Print Management:

1. Press Windows + R on your Keyboard so this little window will pop up in the bottom left:
    Attachment 56616
    1.jpg
    2. Write printmanagement.msc in the window and hit enter.
    2.1 If it can't find printmanagement.msc, you'll need to install it: Head over to Settings -> Search for "manage optional features" -> Add a feature -> Search for "Print Management" and install it, then try again.

3. If printmanagement.msc is opened, expand custom filters and double click All printers. This gives you a list of ALL currently installed printers. Sometimes, there are Printers installed that you wont see in Settings nor in Control Panel.
    Now to add a Printer, expand "Print Servers", double click your PC's Name and then right-click "Printers".
    4. Select "Add an IPP, TCP/IP or Web Services Printer by IP address or hostname" and click next. Select the Type of Connection for your Printer. Select "TCP/IP Device" and enter the DNS-Hostname or IP address of the Printer.
    5. When Windows is searching for a Printer Driver, click on "The Printer could not be found" on the bottom and then select the correct driver you have downloaded from your printers manufacturer website.
    6. Just click next until you see a screen saying the Printer has been installed. Here, to test your installattion you can print a windows testpage.

Headless Remote Server:
    1.Start powershell in your headless remote server by typing "powershell"
    2. Execute this command and change \\path\to\file\ to where the driver is located. This will add the driver to the DriverStore inside Windows
    Code:
    pnputil.exe /a "\\path\to\file\*.inf"
    3. Now we'll install the Printer. Please change "printer_driver_inf_file_name.inf" to your actual printer drivers .inf file name in said directory. Also, please open up the Inf File onces. In the first few rows there should be something like "Konica Minolta bizhub c364 series PCL3" (Depending on your manufacturer). Copy that name and replace "My PrintersName" with it
    Code:
    Add-PrinterDriver -Name "My Printers Name" -InfPath "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\printer_driver_inf_file_name.inf"

I'll add more pictures and fix some typos later as i currently have to get back to work again and wrote this on my way to work!
    Last edited by techsxge; 02-01-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: How to Install a Printer Driver (Guide) (WIP)

Why not just Start - PC Settings - Blue tooth & devices - Printers & scanners - Add device

Why the hell did Microsoft remove Add device from Printers I have no idea. You can also get to Devices and printers by clicking the navigation Up arrow on Printers.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Why not just Start - PC Settings - Blue tooth & devices - Printers & scanners - Add device

Why the hell did Microsoft remove Add device from Printers I have no idea. You can also get to Devices and printers by clicking the navigation Up arrow on Printers.
    This approach does not work on every Microsoft Windows Installation. Also, removing Printers using the Settings approach does not seem to clean-uninstall the printers correctly. If my Guide is done (e.g. when i remove the WIP) i'll showcase a simple approach on how to clean install and clean uninstall printer drivers reliable on ALL Microsoft Windows Installations. I recall having issues with Printers installed that way but not over CP too but thats long time ago.
    Pluspoint is that Microsoft will most likely never change the MMC so the approach i shared will less likely ever change no matter the environment you might find yourself in.
    The Settings Approach also does not work on Headless Microsoft Windows "Core" Servers.

I might include Printer Server installations and Printer driver installations on Linux and MacOS too.

Note that the mentioned issues rarely occured on small / single pc installations but in large computer networks.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

All of this took a nasty little turn when we got smacked with Print Nightmare.

In larger environments, where print servers are used, this is probably the best method:

Put the driver in the driver store (as mentioned), possibly by using a script in a group policy.

That driver can sit there, unused, for any length of time; it doesn't matter.

When choosing that printer to install, (i.e....by double clicking it or from a run command), the process will find the appropriate driver in the Driver Store, and the rights error will not occur. As long as the version matches what is on the server, the printer properties (such as accessories), and print preferences (such as color and duplex) will flow to the workstation.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    This approach does not work on every Microsoft Windows Installation. Also, removing Printers using the Settings approach does not seem to clean-uninstall the printers correctly. If my Guide is done (e.g. when i remove the WIP) i'll showcase a simple approach on how to clean install and clean uninstall printer drivers reliable on ALL Microsoft Windows Installations. I recall having issues with Printers installed that way but not over CP too but thats long time ago.
    Pluspoint is that Microsoft will most likely never change the MMC so the approach i shared will less likely ever change no matter the environment you might find yourself in.
    The Settings Approach also does not work on Headless Microsoft Windows "Core" Servers.

I might include Printer Server installations and Printer driver installations on Linux and MacOS too.

Note that the mentioned issues rarely occured on small / single pc installations but in large computer networks.
    The best world is where you install Windows as a virtual machine on Linux. That is what all Computer Science professors do. After a logon system update at California State University Bakersfield during the pandemic lock out, many Professors and instructors returning to campus were unable to print, except all Computer Science department all of whom were using virtual Windows on Linux systems.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Nice start, but you're making it much more complicated than you need. Once I finish a project that's been eating up all of my time I'll post a definitive guide to printmanagement.msc

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Nice start, but you're making it much more complicated than you need. Once I finish a project that's been eating up all of my time I'll post a definitive guide to printmanagement.msc

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    It is work in progress, i'll go in much more detail but havent had as much time as expected when i started this. I am sure there are other good Methods that i might not even know of today so if you've got any be free to let me know

ah nuts i forgot that i cant edit the thread after 1 day

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for posting this thread. I'm all into it.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

I detest the windows 10 and 11 printer settings you can access the old Win7 printers folder.

Create a new shortcut on desktop, for the location of the item copy / paste this

explorer shell:PrintersFolder

name it printers or something
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.