Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    This might be a stupid question,

but I'm going to try, with the risk of an answer and one howling at me:

My sister lives in a different country and I am supporting here via TeamViewer all the time. She's a very intelligent lady – much more than her brother – but computers, printers and IT in general are her biggest enemies. What happened: She sent me her laptop for repair. I had to reinstall W10 on a new SSD and to be on the safe side later on, and I would be able to use TeamViewer at any time, I left the laptop with DHCP and sent it back to her.

Now, her both printers are not working and a Netscan with TeamViewer is telling me that they are not inside the network.

She had before problems with here provider too and they instructed her by phone what to do, so I think they somehow altered the IP-Range. Both printers I had set previously to a static IP-Adress. Now my question:

Is there a way to remotely alter the static IP-Adress of a printer when the computer used for TeamViewer has a different IP-Adress range? Guiding her by phone to use the set-up of the printers through the control panel is useless because of her before mentioned limitations regarding IT-Stuff......

Any help please?

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: This might be a stupid question,

I don't think so Hans.

Just a thought. Maybe you can navigate her to reset printers to factory settings and then restart them to grab new IPs from router. Or find someone else to assist on place.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Are you sure about the IP range? Can you get her to give you an IP of one of the printers?

If its a laptop and connected via WiFi, she could connect one of the printers with a network cable so that you can scan possible IP ranges using TeamViewer.
    Had a customer with a Samsung printer with an unknown IP and the only way I could find the printer was with the utility used when installing the driver.
    The customers laptop was connected to WiFi and the printer plunged into the laptop directly with a network cable. As per my instruction over the phone.
    The utility pics up the static IP of the printer even if its in a different range.
    You can even try to "add printer" and hope there are WSD services running on the printers.
    Whatever

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Is the firewall on the machine set to the Public profile instead of Home or Work?

Print a config page off the printers and compare the IP to what you set the ports to as well as the output of ipconfig on the computer.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Can't she use a USB cable for the time being.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

If the laptop is on a different IP range from the printer, and you're viewing the laptop in TeamViewer, then no, you won't be able to remotely change the printers IP. But if she's as intelligent as you say, you can use TeamViewer to choose open IP addresses for the printers, then have her change the printers IP locally through the machine panel (assuming of course that the printer has a an operation panel.)

The other way would be to connect the laptop directly to the printer, temporarily set the IP to a suitable range, then browse into the printer's webpage to change the IP. Again, that would have to happen locally, not through TeamViewer.

I think the first thing I would ask for is a config page from each printer to see if the printers are in IP range. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thanks guys, problem is I know the IP-Address exactly, they're static because I set them in the past myself and I also know the IP-Address of the notebook but how to get them together from a distance? The best suggestion appears to me to operate the laptop with WLAN and to let the old girl put the LAN-Cable directly in the laptop and see what happens.

I was hoping that there is some obscure CMD-Command to get what I need. I even know the MAC-Addresses of the printers......

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I know that on some devices, one can make a TCP/IP port using the host name of the device.

I have done this with Kyocera devices on networks where I know I cannot take the device off dynamic (many reasons why, but that's a discussion for another day). Then if the IP address of the device changes for any reason, the print driver seeks out the host name.

A configuration page may reveal the host name of the device. and that may be a way to browse to the devices network page (for example: //DeviceName).

Just a thought.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have ran into problems with customers having trouble printing after the internet modem/router has been replaced either because of failure or a change in ISP. Very seldom do they check the existing IP configuration but merely leave the device set to its default, often different form the previous one. As a result, static devices can no longer be found.

One solution is to set everything on the local network to DHCP and then install print drivers using the device names.

Whatever