Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Windows 10 PC in Apple network.

Is it possible in an "Apple Network" (I mean a network with exclusively Apple hardware) to explore in shared folders on a Windows-10 computer which is connected to that same network via LAN?

No need for me to hide my total "Noobness" regarding an Apple environment here, I believe.............

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Re: Windows 10 PC in Apple network.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The default sharing protocol in Macs has been SMB since at least 10.7. The main difference is the link you use. Windows would understand \\server\share as a path. The same for a Mac is Smb://server/share

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks guys,

The reason for asking is following. Customer has an old bizhub-C-360 in a network with only Apple hardware, which suddenly stopped scanning to e-mail. After I changed the TX SMTP settings under "Use SSL/TLS" from its original "OFF" setting to "SMTP over SSL" it started instantly working with transferring the scans from the BH-C360 to their e-mail account. The provider seemingly had changed the protocols requirements. So everybody was happy for the moment.

Now suddenly the customer phoned me that scanning stopped again. Since I remotely recall, colleagues here in the panel were warning that these very old generation machines would not any longer meet the modern protocols for sending e-mails, it could be that this is now the new situation. Perhaps the provider continued to tighten the safety even more. That would mean that the customer needs another machine. I was thinking about a BH-C-284e or BH-C-368.

I have no time for at least two weeks to provide them such a newer generation machine. Therefore, I was considering a workaround for the moment by putting a W10 pc in their network as a "Scanserver" using Scan>FTP until new equipment would be available.

So the BH-C-360 would then momentarily scan to the W10 pc using the FTP protocol (which I love btw for its reliability) and the customer would pick up those scans with their Apple stuff using the network.

Clunky or a relatively good idea? What do you think?

Hans

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Thanks guys,

The reason for asking is following. Customer has an old bizhub-C-360 in a network with only Apple hardware, which suddenly stopped scanning to e-mail. After I changed the TX SMTP settings under "Use SSL/TLS" from its original "OFF" setting to "SMTP over SSL" it started instantly working with transferring the scans from the BH-C360 to their e-mail account. The provider seemingly had changed the protocols requirements. So everybody was happy for the moment.

Now suddenly the customer phoned me that scanning stopped again. Since I remotely recall, colleagues here in the panel were warning that these very old generation machines would not any longer meet the modern protocols for sending e-mails, it could be that this is now the new situation. Perhaps the provider continued to tighten the safety even more. That would mean that the customer needs another machine. I was thinking about a BH-C-284e or BH-C-368.

I have no time for at least two weeks to provide them such a newer generation machine. Therefore, I was considering a workaround for the moment by putting a W10 pc in their network as a "Scanserver" using Scan>FTP until new equipment would be available.

So the BH-C-360 would then momentarily scan to the W10 pc using the FTP protocol (which I love btw for its reliability) and the customer would pick up those scans with their Apple stuff using the network.

Clunky or a relatively good idea? What do you think?

Hans
    You could just scan to folder on the Macs, either SMB or FTP. Filezilla for MacOS 10.13.2 or later. Or there is always Stunnel for Mac. Download stunnel for Mac | MacUpdate.

Thanks Slimslob, but can the old BH-C-360 do that too? I've heard that the machine is too old now to be able anymore.

Hans

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

FTP may be stable, but it is also wildly insecure as it doesn't protect the transmission in any manner over the wire. Most security scanners will flag it as a vulnerability and may also not be permitted by the customer. It sounds like STunnel is going to be your best option especially as the client is used to scan to email. Set it up on a machine that always stays powered on (even an old Raspberry Pi can be a good candidate), configure it with the mail provider's SMTP information; set the MFP to scan with no encryption pointing it to the IP of the device running STunnel as the SMTP server; when the message is sent, STunnel will add the necessary encryption for transit.

I have STunnel instances in place for multiple kinds of use cases: MFPs, network appliances, servers, applications, anything that can't use modern TLS and needs to send email. For some clients, I even have all of their devices sending emails through it even if they have devices that can send direct, mainly for consistency. For others it's only the older devices using it.