Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Copier Mechanic's Avatar

Re: Networking Online training courses?

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    IT training for CompTIA, Cisco, Microsoft, EC-Council certifications – TestOut Continuing Education

Test out is pretty good that what I used back in the dvd dates HA

But they're more expensive

I have the ITU lifetime
    Yea I just signed up with UTI and ordered comptia A+ and Comptia Network. I Also ordered the CCNA because it was on sale. I paid $100 for all 3 courses. I plan on doing the A+ first and then comptia Network afterwards. And then I'll wait few months and brush up on CCNA to fortify my Network knowledge since CCNA goes more into depth.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Networking Online training courses?

Quote Originally Posted by Copier Mechanic View Post
    Yea I just signed up with UTI and ordered comptia A+ and Comptia Network. I Also ordered the CCNA because it was on sale. I paid $100 for all 3 courses. I plan on doing the A+ first and then comptia Network afterwards. And then I'll wait few months and brush up on CCNA to fortify my Network knowledge since CCNA goes more into depth.

I went about 3/4 of the way thru CCNA. I stopped because, well, I realized I would never user 90% of what I learned. Unless you plan on working on very large networks on a full time basis, I would advise against. Companies that have these type of networks will always have a full time IT staff.

Oh, and 95% fail the exam on the first try. It's incredibly difficult. I did learn a lot but I rarely ever use any of it. And if you don't use it, you will lose it.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I went about 3/4 of the way thru CCNA. I stopped because, well, I realized I would never user 90% of what I learned. Unless you plan on working on very large networks on a full time basis, I would advise against. Companies that have these type of networks will always have a full time IT staff.

Oh, and 95% fail the exam on the first try. It's incredibly difficult. I did learn a lot but I rarely ever use any of it. And if you don't use it, you will lose it.
    Yea that's what I'm worried about. The exam is like over $300 plus and if you fail you have to pay again Lol...With these certificates, supposedly I would be making $26-30 an hour depending on the copier business here in California. So we'll see.

Yea that's what I'm worried about. The exam is like over $300 plus and if you fail you have to pay again Lol...With these certificates, supposedly I would be making $26-30 an hour depending on the copier business here in California. So we'll see.

CCNA won't be useful in the copier industry. It mainly involves managed switches and routers. Exclusively Cisco.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If you get all 3 of those certificates, forget the copiers and apply for an IT position with Grapevine MSP.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you get all 3 of those certificates, forget the copiers and apply for an IT position with Grapevine MSP.
    I dunno man, I honestly only thought about it as my last resort but copiers is my priority. Plus I don't think no one would hire me with no hands on experiences in IT. My bread and butter has always been to become a 2in1 tech.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I dunno man, I honestly only thought about it as my last resort but copiers is my priority. Plus I don't think no one would hire me with no hands on experiences in IT. My bread and butter has always been to become a 2in1 tech.
    Once you have the certifications, it won't hurt to call them

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

A+ and Net+ are a good set of baseline certs. They're both equivalent to about three months experience and will give you a good grounding on the basics. There will be plenty in them you never really use (subnetting) but that are good to know at a high level.

Keep in mind that they do expire after three years so you'll need to show some kind of continuing education or get higher certs from CompTIA or other entities to keep them current.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Fantastic good luck on your training and future success

If the customer has IT always work with them first it will make for a better install.

I can't speak to the other certs, but there's something that you need to know now that you've signed up for an online CCNA course. You're gonna have to buy a lot of equipment. This is needed because you're gonna have to do lab exercises. You'll need at least 2 routers and switches. You'll also need a WLAN controller. And it's best if you have a server. You'll get very little out of the course without it. The good news is that you can pick up used equipment for a fraction of the cost of new.

BTW: rthonpm is the local expert on here. I used to bug the hell out of him. He didn't seem to mind.