Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Hell

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Laptop Hell

Keep in mind with cloning that unless your client has a Volume License for Windows that they're out of compliance as you only have image rights with a MAK or KMS license.

Yeah, Microsoft licensing is not very easy to get a hold of. Between CALs, OS licenses and everything else it can get opaque very fast.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Keep in mind with cloning that unless your client has a Volume License for Windows that they're out of compliance as you only have image rights with a MAK or KMS license.

Yeah, Microsoft licensing is not very easy to get a hold of. Between CALs, OS licenses and everything else it can get opaque very fast.

I didn't think about that!!!
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Duh. I can't believe I didn't think to clone the drive and all the laptops are identical. Although, I can't find my external hard drive to clone the image to. I still have about 15 left to do and I will clone. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Did you contact the manufacturer? With the serial numbers they might be able to with the Windows activation codes for each in case Microsoft's activation server does not recognize them.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Did you contact the manufacturer? With the serial numbers they might be able to with the Windows activation codes for each in case Microsoft's activation server does not recognize them.
    Modern equipment (anything since the Windows 8 era) has the OEM key in the BIOS so that the OS will automatically activate against it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post

That's why you make a premade image without a license and use sysprep for generalizing the image. You can then license each invidual station

Laptop Hell

Welp, I finished all the laptops. It didn't take long. I learned something and I wasn't expecting to learn anything when I posted this thread. I almost didn't make this post. I'm glad I did.

On another note, all the operating systems were activated by a digital license. I was relieved to see that.

Again, thanks for suggesting that I clone the image.

Laptop Hell

Welp, I finished all the laptops. It didn't take long. I learned something and I wasn't expecting to learn anything when I posted this thread. I almost didn't make this post. I'm glad I did.

On another note, all the operating systems were activated by a digital license. I was relieved to see that.

Again, thanks for suggesting that I clone the image.
    Gret work!

I am thinking about posting some stuff i do here too. Its always suprising how you can not think of the most obvious things or sometimes you just dont know of any other way but there are people who have enough experience in the field.

By the way, did you use my commands i shared? I have not copied them from my documents but got it straight out of my head so i want to know if it worked

Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    Gret work!

I am thinking about posting some stuff i do here too. Its always suprising how you can not think of the most obvious things or sometimes you just dont know of any other way but there are people who have enough experience in the field.

By the way, did you use my commands i shared? I have not copied them from my documents but got it straight out of my head so i want to know if it worked
    No, I didn't use your commands because I really didn't understand most of it. However, I am interested in learning how and why I need to do this. As we're speaking, I'm watching a video on "generalizing the image". There's no hurry to get the laptops back so today I'm gonna use your process on one of them that I've already done. It's very interesting.

Laptop Hell

No, I didn't use your commands because I really didn't understand most of it. However, I am interested in learning how and why I need to do this. As we're speaking, I'm watching a video on "generalizing the image". There's no hurry to get the laptops back so today I'm gonna use your process on one of them that I've already done. It's very interesting.
    ah well then i can test that out myself too soon. Let me know if you run in any sort of problems while doing it

Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    ah well then i can test that out myself too soon. Let me know if you run in any sort of problems while doing it

That's for turning me on to generalizing the image. I now understand why I need to do this. The way I did it, I was getting an error but everything still worked. It's my understanding that the error is most likely due to the fact that I didn't generalize the image.

If you don't mind, watch this video and tell me what you think. He does it different in that he doesn't use any command. Video below: