Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Hell

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    That's why you make a premade image without a license and use sysprep for generalizing the image. You can then license each invidual station
    You still need volume license media to be compliant for reimage rights. You can sysprep or OoB any Windows install , however it doesn't mean you're properly licensed to do it just like you can use SQL Server or a Windows Server OS without a CAL.

The only real exception is if you're using OEM provided install media, but your image rights are then only for that OEM equipment.

https://download.microsoft.com/downl...ing_Rights.pdf

Reimaging rights for Windows 10 – licensing how-to - Windows Forum - Spiceworks

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Laptop Hell

This is all new to me but from what I gather, we do need to run Sysprep because Windows 10 and other versions include security identifiers (SIDs) that must be unique from one PC to another. SysPrep generalizes Windows by removing the SIDs and other computer-specific information? Failing to do this would be problematic.

Sound about right? I'm just trying to understand why we're doing this.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    That's for turning me on to generalizing the image. I now understand why I need to do this. The way I did it, I was getting an error but everything still worked. It's my understanding that the error is most likely due to the fact that I didn't generalize the image.

If you don't mind, watch this video and tell me what you think. He does it different in that he doesn't use any command. Video below:

well the commands i provided are for getting the image to run without having to plug in a usb thumb drive every time. That way you can connect all your stations to a switch, turn them on, load the image and let the install process go through.
    So basically you can install all 30 Laptops at the same time.

What he showed is how you generalize the image with sysprep

Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    You still need volume license media to be compliant for reimage rights. You can sysprep or OoB any Windows install , however it doesn't mean you're properly licensed to do it just like you can use SQL Server or a Windows Server OS without a CAL.

The only real exception is if you're using OEM provided install media, but your image rights are then only for that OEM equipment.

https://download.microsoft.com/downl...ing_Rights.pdf

Reimaging rights for Windows 10 licensing how-to - Windows Forum - Spiceworks

lol that is interesting. We get all our licenses from a distributor and not microsoft directly. According to them, there is no license trouble. I am not 100% sure what license we do purchase as all information i get is the activation code however i believe its the "standard" 1 device windows 10 pro.
    Is it possibly different in EU?

Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    This is all new to me but from what I gather, we do need to run Sysprep because Windows 10 and other versions include security identifiers (SIDs) that must be unique from one PC to another. SysPrep generalizes Windows by removing the SIDs and other computer-specific information? Failing to do this would be problematic.

Sound about right? I'm just trying to understand why we're doing this.
    Yes, this is about right. There are a couple more things that have to happen but you've got the basic idea behind it.

Laptop Hell

well the commands i provided are for getting the image to run without having to plug in a usb thumb drive every time. That way you can connect all your stations to a switch, turn them on, load the image and let the install process go through.
    So basically you can install all 30 Laptops at the same time.

What he showed is how you generalize the image with sysprep

Understood. I wanted to learn how and why to generalize an image. That was the purpose of that video.

I have all the laptops at my shop and it really isn't feasible to do all 30 at the same time as I don't have that many unused ports. But I will save your information for future use. I appreciate your help.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

lol that is interesting. We get all our licenses from a distributor and not microsoft directly. According to them, there is no license trouble. I am not 100% sure what license we do purchase as all information i get is the activation code however i believe its the "standard" 1 device windows 10 pro.
    Is it possibly different in EU?
    Same restrictions, but even licenses sold by a third-party (as mine are) fall under MAK (Pro) or KMS (Enterprise) licensing so you're compliant as long as you have a license amount for every device you're using it on. All you need for volume license rights are five products, one of which has to be Windows so it's not hard to get.

If you're working with a good vendor they will also make sure you're compliant.

Interesting thread. I've cloned and reloaded windows on several machines. After loading, I activate, and just about every time I get "activated through digital license" particularly with Dells. If you didn't get an activation, you can still use a clone, then change product key. But of course you need to pay for the key. Back in the good old days you could buy a windows key online from Microsoft resellers then download the OS. Not sure if they do that anymore. Don't care. Linux is better anyway.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Same restrictions, but even licenses sold by a third-party (as mine are) fall under MAK (Pro) or KMS (Enterprise) licensing so you're compliant as long as you have a license amount for every device you're using it on. All you need for volume license rights are five products, one of which has to be Windows so it's not hard to get.

If you're working with a good vendor they will also make sure you're compliant.

Thanks for the information, that is actually realy interesting. I never had to care about this stuff realy because we send our distributor what we want to do and they send use a price for the license we needed. I'll take some time for me to read more into this stuff

Laptop Hell

I buy my Windows 10 Pro Key from KINGUIN for $20.

Just a moment...