Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Laptop Hell

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Laptop Hell

Re: Laptop Hell

My Boss once told me "If you can get Microsoft Products for cheaper than microsoft sells them for, it is most likely not a legal product"

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    My Boss once told me "If you can get Microsoft Products for cheaper than microsoft sells them for, it is most likely not a legal product"

It's funny. 15 years ago I had 3 boys in college. I needed microsoft office for each of them. I think it was office 2007. I went to a site called something with winds in the name. They offered a 3 license of office for students for $99. I think even Best Buy was in on the deal too. I downloaded and installed it on the boy's laptops. It registered just fine at Microsoft, no issues and they used it through college. Fast forward about 10 years later, I get a letter in the mail from some legal class action lawsuit stating that I was sold illegal software and am entitled to participate in the class action suit. It just made me laugh and I threw it in the trash. Whether legal or not, laptops were long replaced and software was obsolete. One of my boys was in graduate school at the time of the letter. Graduate school discouraged Microsoft Office and encouraged LibreOffice as cost savings for students. Going back to 97 when my wife was in grad school. She was forced to purchase office 97. It was a flippin huge expense ( I think it was $297). Our computer was running windows 95 with a 800MB hdd. That bloatware used up half of the hdd once installed. Still have the old cd after all I paid for it. I should toss it, but it brings back memories of how quickly things have changed. It's right along side of my w95, w98, xp,w7,w8, w10 disks. Why do I save this crap??
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    It's funny. 15 years ago I had 3 boys in college. I needed microsoft office for each of them. I think it was office 2007. I went to a site called something with winds in the name. They offered a 3 license of office for students for $99. I think even Best Buy was in on the deal too. I downloaded and installed it on the boy's laptops. It registered just fine at Microsoft, no issues and they used it through college. Fast forward about 10 years later, I get a letter in the mail from some legal class action lawsuit stating that I was sold illegal software and am entitled to participate in the class action suit. It just made me laugh and I threw it in the trash. Whether legal or not, laptops were long replaced and software was obsolete. One of my boys was in graduate school at the time of the letter. Graduate school discouraged Microsoft Office and encouraged LibreOffice as cost savings for students. Going back to 97 when my wife was in grad school. She was forced to purchase office 97. It was a flippin huge expense ( I think it was $297). Our computer was running windows 95 with a 800MB hdd. That bloatware used up half of the hdd once installed. Still have the old cd after all I paid for it. I should toss it, but it brings back memories of how quickly things have changed. It's right along side of my w95, w98, xp,w7,w8, w10 disks. Why do I save this crap??
    You may have been over charged for Office. The Student/Teacher/Military version should have been available through the student store for, if I remember correct, ether $79 or $89 for a 3 user license. Microsoft wants University/College graduates to be used to using their product.

Self-Taught

Late to the party since the laptops are already imaged, but what I usually do is boot Clonezilla to RAM to make my image and save it on a network drive. Then I will boot up each laptop to clonezilla to RAM to write the image off that network drive. So then it's just boot clonezilla to RAM and image off the network drive in parallel. And as they finish, I can reboot them into windows and activate them, change their network name, etc, while I set others to start their image. It becomes and assembly line.

Laptop Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Samir View Post
    Late to the party since the laptops are already imaged, but what I usually do is boot Clonezilla to RAM to make my image and save it on a network drive. Then I will boot up each laptop to clonezilla to RAM to write the image off that network drive. So then it's just boot clonezilla to RAM and image off the network drive in parallel. And as they finish, I can reboot them into windows and activate them, change their network name, etc, while I set others to start their image. It becomes and assembly line.
    that is basically what i suggested here. Just with another programm.

Self-Taught

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    that is basically what i suggested here. Just with another programm.
    Except that the clonezilla is typically faster ime since it's working directly with the hardware vs windows. I haven't tried what you suggested though--I've never gotten any of that stuff to work right so gave up years ago.