Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Self-Taught

Re: Unable To Connect Remote Desktop from W-XP to W10

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    XP to W10?

W10 to XP is working very well since long without any corrections had to be made. Just activate RDP with one click, but the opposite direction does not work whatever I do and that's what I need too. Reason is, that we have a very old but very good inventory software that works only with XP. This computer is in one of our warehouses, and it would be very convenient if it can be used too to RDP in the opposite direction to our main computers in the remote office.

An update to the inventory software would cost, including adapting old to new, around 10,000 Euro which is too much for this purpose. It runs with MSDE SQL whatever, software in the background. All attempts to lift it to higher Windows operating systems failed. That MSDE SQL server wants XP, nothing else. Virtual XP doesn't work either. It is not accepting that damned MSD-SQL thingy.

I could of course put another W10 computer beside the XP one overthere, but that is against my technical pride.......

Hans
    Thank you for sharing the details on why--helps paint a picture of what's going on.

I have a collection of XP, 7, and 10 among the stuff I administer and we use RDP all the time. So I decided to try some tests:
    10 to xp - works
    7 to xp - works
    xp to 7 - works
    xp to 10 - doesn't work

And the doesn't work isn't a 'let me think about it for a second' and not work, it's almost immediate. And I believe this has everything to do with NLM and the setting on the 10 system--except I checked two different 10 systems and both of their 'require NLM' was off and both immediately rejected the xp request. Now, keep in mind this is the default xp rdp version which is 5.2 something trying to connect to whatever newest fancy version 10 is using.

A workaround is to rdp into win 7 and then win 10. You could put a small win7 thin client there next to the xp system and use that. We use those all the time for rdp sessions (using one right now, well, actually using 2...err...3).

What is it that needs to be done on the win10 side from the xp side that someone needs to check into their 10 system to do? I might know another way to do it.

Self-Taught

Quote Originally Posted by drbing View Post
    Yep, that link should have all the solutions! Great find--thank you for posting it!

Use anydesk so you can access your machines on the local network.

Self-Taught

If we're talking about solutions other than native remote desktop, vnc does a great job too.