Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Remote Desktop printer settings

We installed a Kyocera 5004i at a customer with 4 trays. Each one has a different media type. We installed 4 print drivers each one with the specific tray settings ie: one driver is set in preferences to use tray 1 media type thick and so on. When printing from his local PC it works beautifully. When they use Remote Desktop for whatever reason it recognizes the four drivers and he has 4 “redirected” drivers. The issue is it doesn’t take the preferences along with drivers and all 4 have default preferences. When connecting they can go and change the preferences and it will work only until they log off/on and then lose the preferences as each time they log in it pulls the printers anew. Calling all network gurus for a solution. Much appreciated.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Remote Desktop printer settings

It may have to do with the way Remote Desktop accesses print devices at the host. Do the remote computers have the driver with the default settings installed?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

No, they don’t. Drivers aren’t installed on the remote PC only on the local and the Remote Desktop pulls the local drivers (without the preferences).

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just noted an additional issue. The redirected driver in Remote Desktop doesn’t even recognize trays 3&4.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Of course not.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong), the redirected driver most likely is using very basic Microsoft POS print driver.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like it is not using the installed driver but instead only grabbing the default driver with no options set. It may be because other than preferences the four drivers are not unique.

Not overly familiar with Kyocera drivers and software but maybe you can use their Driver Distributor software to create four unique drivers.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

As suggested, sounds like you have the generic Windows drivers setup when WSD kicks in. Look at the port, is it an IP address or does it start with WSD?

If the driver does not see options, the driver will need to be configured. This varies from manufacturer, but it is always in the printer properties section; some call it auto update or configure.
    Once all options are seen and you have the proper drivers, have them setup presets in the driver. They can then choose all the settings with one drop down menu item.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

We installed the KX driver using IP. Turns out their IT is using UPD (user profile data(?)) and had to for each user install on the server(?) exactly what we installed on the local PC then update the user policy. I’m not even sure what I just wrote. I just hope someone out there understands it.
    The users wound up having an additional new 4 drivers and have to remember to use the new ones as they “redirected” ones can’t be deleted (?)

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yakyitz View Post
    We installed the KX driver using IP. Turns out their IT is using UPD (user profile data(?)) and had to for each user install on the server(?) exactly what we installed on the local PC then update the user policy. I’m not even sure what I just wrote. I just hope someone out there understands it.
    The users wound up having an additional new 4 drivers and have to remember to use the new ones as they “redirected” ones can’t be deleted (?)
    I think that should be UDP, User Datagram Protocol. Both TCP and UDP are major protocols within the internet protocol suite. Here are a couple of websites where you can learn a little bit about them.
    TCP vs. UDP — What's the Difference and Which Protocol is Faster?
    What are TCP and UDP, How Do They Work, and How Do They Compare? | Simplilearn

Configuring user policies in Active Directory made sure that each PC got the correct driver.