Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: W11, using the build in Disk Mirroring

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    You mean antivirus ? How do you know that your computer is clean and not infected by a dormant trojan waiting and still not caught by antivirus vendor ?
    I'm not an expert but backup is the best solution. You have a virus ? Nuke the computer, reinstall your OS, grab your last clean backup and move on.
    When your argument relies on proving a negative, you're not making a very good one.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    When your argument relies on proving a negative, you're not making a very good one.
    But it's not an argument ?
    What was I suppose to reply to "Apparently you do not have decent protection software." and "You have a lot to learn little one." when the original topic was what to do with two HDD and someone suggests using xcopy (a tool to copy) instead of a real backup solution ?
    Do what you want with your data but don't suggest a half-baked solution.

In my case I have this in a .bat file to copy my USB stick to my laptop :
    ROBOCOPY "E:" "C:\Users\Hart\RandomFolderThatIsBackedupLater " /MIR

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    W11, using the build in Disk Mirroring

This is going into directions not intended by me. Thank you all for your input, guys.

I decided to have those two 2TB disk mirroring and as an offsite backup I will use the, since years proven, solid solution "FreeFileSync" for a daily backup on a separate USB-Hard drive. The Customer does not want a NAS.

Backing up in the Cloud would be much more elegant, but the problem is, that FreeFileSync can not save to a WebDAV Cloud and the other option, Acronis, I don't like since Acronis wants to sell its own Cloud application.

My solution is a little clunky, but given the circumstances relatively solid.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    All Right Then, Keep Your Secrets !
    But real backups are still important.
    Because as a former Physical Security NCO with Military Police Physical Security Company if I were to tell you what I know and you lacked either the proper clearance or need to know, I would have to kill you as a spy and then arrest myself for divulging Homeland Security secrets.

Why would a hacker reply on the forum ?
    We get them all the time. Usually they are posting SPAM or as is the most recent cases links to sex sites.

Best is to just actively do something to keep your data existing. Like mentioned cloud solutions works great. Nothing beats a hard copy in the end. When you just need to fix that copier when the world goes to shit. I prefer to wire my own ferrite cores in my free time.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Backing up in the Cloud would be much more elegant, but the problem is, that FreeFileSync can not save to a WebDAV Cloud and the other option, Acronis, I don't like since Acronis wants to sell its own Cloud application.
    I'm not sure about rsync but rclone would do the job if you want cloud or WebDAV
    WebDAV

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure about rsync but rclone would do the job if you want cloud or WebDAV
    WebDAV
    Thanks, but the rather steep learning curve is going slightly over my head at the moment for this particular single customer only.

In my own office, I use an automatic backup with Acronis to NAS with a manual added daily
    (almost..... )
    backup to the cloud. The whole process being completed once a week on Saturday with FreeFileSync to a separate USB-drive which I keep outside the office building.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "