• Show
Clear All
  • Hansoon
    Field Supervisor
    Site Contributor
    2,500+ Posts
    • Sep 2007

W11, using the build in Disk Mirroring

W11, using the build in Disk Mirroring a good idea, or is it better to use a NAS with RAID?

I have on this computer a 500gig SSD for the operating system and two identical 2TB Hard drives for all data and applications. Should I better have the two hard drives in a separate NAS enclosure? There's only one user for the system, so no reason for more sophisticated network stuff.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "
  • Hart
    Trusted Tech
    100+ Posts
    • Feb 2024

Re: W11, using the build in Disk Mirroring

You can't put all applications on the SSD ?
    RAID is not backup, it's only for resiliency and availability in a server.
    IMO keep one HDD in the build and move the other HDD in an external enclosure (and disconnect it after each backup) or in a NAS and backup your files from one HDD to the other.

Comment

• slimslob
      Retired
      Site Contributor
      25,000+ Posts
      • May 2013

Originally posted by Hart
      You can't put all applications on the SSD ?
      RAID is not backup, it's only for resiliency and availability in a server.
      IMO keep one HDD in the build and move the other HDD in an external enclosure (and disconnect it after each backup) or in a NAS and backup your files from one HDD to the other.
      The actually backup can be done using the xcopy command in a .cmd script. xcopy {source path} {destination path} /d/e/c/y
      /d copies only those files whose source time is newer than the destination time.
      /e copies all sub-directories even if empty
      /c continues copying even if an error occurs
      /y suppresses prompting to replace existing files

You might also want to pipe, |, the output to a text file so you have a record of what was copied and any errors that occurred. Most errors are usually because a source file was not copied because it was still "in use"

Comment

• Hart
        Trusted Tech
        100+ Posts
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by slimslob
        The actually backup can be done using the xcopy command in a .cmd script. xcopy {source path} {destination path} /d/e/c/y
        /d copies only those files whose source time is newer than the destination time.
        /e copies all sub-directories even if empty
        /c continues copying even if an error occurs
        /y suppresses prompting to replace existing files

You might also want to pipe, |, the output to a text file so you have a record of what was copied and any errors that occurred. Most errors are usually because a source file was not copied because it was still "in use"
        This is not a proper backup, I have something similar for my USB stick with a batch running robocopy instead of xcopy, but it's because I can check the whole content of my stick before copying everything to my laptop then to my server.
        If you've remove or change (or if a virus lock) the wrong file and you smash the good file on the backup HDD, you're fucked.
        For backup you need a proper software or system, I was using FreeFileSync a long time ago to do this, with 30 days history.

Comment

• slimslob
          Retired
          Site Contributor
          25,000+ Posts
          • May 2013

This is not a proper backup, I have something similar for my USB stick with a batch running robocopy instead of xcopy, but it's because I can check the whole content of my stick before copying everything to my laptop then to my server.
          If you've remove or change (or if a virus lock) the wrong file and you smash the good file on the backup HDD, you're fucked.
          For backup you need a proper software or system, I was using FreeFileSync a long time ago to do this, with 30 days history.
          Apparently you do not have decent protection software.

Comment

• Hart
            Trusted Tech
            100+ Posts
            • Feb 2024

Apparently you do not have decent protection software.
            You mean antivirus ? How do you know that your computer is clean and not infected by a dormant trojan waiting and still not caught by antivirus vendor ?
            I'm not an expert but backup is the best solution. You have a virus ? Nuke the computer, reinstall your OS, grab your last clean backup and move on.

Comment

• slimslob
              Retired
              Site Contributor
              25,000+ Posts
              • May 2013

You mean antivirus ? How do you know that your computer is clean and not infected by a dormant trojan waiting and still not caught by antivirus vendor ?
              I'm not an expert but backup is the best solution. You have a virus ? Nuke the computer, reinstall your OS, grab your last clean backup and move on.
              You have a lot to learn little one.

Comment

• slimslob
                Retired
                Site Contributor
                25,000+ Posts
                • May 2013

Either you are a hacker or your profile is corrupt. Trying to check you profile give a system message "This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view." It has been reported to the administrator.

Comment

• Hart
                  Trusted Tech
                  100+ Posts
                  • Feb 2024

You have a lot to learn little one.
                  All Right Then, Keep Your Secrets !
                  But real backups are still important.

Either you are a hacker or your profile is corrupt. Trying to check you profile give a system message "This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view." It has been reported to the administrator.
                  Why would a hacker reply on the forum ?

Comment

• tsbservice
                    Field tech
                    Site Contributor
                    5,000+ Posts
                    • May 2007

Hi Hart,
                    Apparently your profile isn't finished. Probably forum problem and admin should fix it.
                    Meanwhile would you tell us something more about your background and experience.
                    You can start a new thread to introduce yourself here:
                    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
                    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• rthonpm
                      Field Supervisor
                      2,500+ Posts
                      • Aug 2007

When your argument relies on proving a negative, you're not making a very good one.

Comment

• Hart
                        Trusted Tech
                        100+ Posts
                        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by rthonpm
                        When your argument relies on proving a negative, you're not making a very good one.
                        But it's not an argument ?
                        What was I suppose to reply to "Apparently you do not have decent protection software." and "You have a lot to learn little one." when the original topic was what to do with two HDD and someone suggests using xcopy (a tool to copy) instead of a real backup solution ?
                        Do what you want with your data but don't suggest a half-baked solution.

In my case I have this in a .bat file to copy my USB stick to my laptop :
                        ROBOCOPY "E:" "C:\Users\Hart\RandomFolderThatIsBackedupLater " /MIR

Comment

• Hansoon
                          Field Supervisor
                          Site Contributor
                          2,500+ Posts
                          • Sep 2007

This is going into directions not intended by me. Thank you all for your input, guys.

I decided to have those two 2TB disk mirroring and as an offsite backup I will use the, since years proven, solid solution "FreeFileSync" for a daily backup on a separate USB-Hard drive. The Customer does not want a NAS.

Backing up in the Cloud would be much more elegant, but the problem is, that FreeFileSync can not save to a WebDAV Cloud and the other option, Acronis, I don't like since Acronis wants to sell its own Cloud application.

My solution is a little clunky, but given the circumstances relatively solid.

Hans
                          " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Comment

• slimslob
                            Retired
                            Site Contributor
                            25,000+ Posts
                            • May 2013

Because as a former Physical Security NCO with Military Police Physical Security Company if I were to tell you what I know and you lacked either the proper clearance or need to know, I would have to kill you as a spy and then arrest myself for divulging Homeland Security secrets.

We get them all the time. Usually they are posting SPAM or as is the most recent cases links to sex sites.

Comment

• allan
                              RTFM!!
                              5,000+ Posts
                              • Apr 2010

Best is to just actively do something to keep your data existing. Like mentioned cloud solutions works great. Nothing beats a hard copy in the end. When you just need to fix that copier when the world goes to shit. I prefer to wire my own ferrite cores in my free time.
                              Whatever

Comment

Working...