Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    W11, using the build in Disk Mirroring

W11, using the build in Disk Mirroring a good idea, or is it better to use a NAS with RAID?

I have on this computer a 500gig SSD for the operating system and two identical 2TB Hard drives for all data and applications. Should I better have the two hard drives in a separate NAS enclosure? There's only one user for the system, so no reason for more sophisticated network stuff.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Re: W11, using the build in Disk Mirroring

You can't put all applications on the SSD ?
    RAID is not backup, it's only for resiliency and availability in a server.
    IMO keep one HDD in the build and move the other HDD in an external enclosure (and disconnect it after each backup) or in a NAS and backup your files from one HDD to the other.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    You can't put all applications on the SSD ?
    RAID is not backup, it's only for resiliency and availability in a server.
    IMO keep one HDD in the build and move the other HDD in an external enclosure (and disconnect it after each backup) or in a NAS and backup your files from one HDD to the other.
    The actually backup can be done using the xcopy command in a .cmd script. xcopy {source path} {destination path} /d/e/c/y
    /d copies only those files whose source time is newer than the destination time.
    /e copies all sub-directories even if empty
    /c continues copying even if an error occurs
    /y suppresses prompting to replace existing files
    You might also want to pipe, |, the output to a text file so you have a record of what was copied and any errors that occurred. Most errors are usually because a source file was not copied because it was still "in use"

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The actually backup can be done using the xcopy command in a .cmd script. xcopy {source path} {destination path} /d/e/c/y
    /d copies only those files whose source time is newer than the destination time.
    /e copies all sub-directories even if empty
    /c continues copying even if an error occurs
    /y suppresses prompting to replace existing files
    You might also want to pipe, |, the output to a text file so you have a record of what was copied and any errors that occurred. Most errors are usually because a source file was not copied because it was still "in use"
    This is not a proper backup, I have something similar for my USB stick with a batch running robocopy instead of xcopy, but it's because I can check the whole content of my stick before copying everything to my laptop then to my server.
    If you've remove or change (or if a virus lock) the wrong file and you smash the good file on the backup HDD, you're fucked.
    For backup you need a proper software or system, I was using FreeFileSync a long time ago to do this, with 30 days history.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

This is not a proper backup, I have something similar for my USB stick with a batch running robocopy instead of xcopy, but it's because I can check the whole content of my stick before copying everything to my laptop then to my server.
    If you've remove or change (or if a virus lock) the wrong file and you smash the good file on the backup HDD, you're fucked.
    For backup you need a proper software or system, I was using FreeFileSync a long time ago to do this, with 30 days history.
    Apparently you do not have decent protection software.

Apparently you do not have decent protection software.
    You mean antivirus ? How do you know that your computer is clean and not infected by a dormant trojan waiting and still not caught by antivirus vendor ?
    I'm not an expert but backup is the best solution. You have a virus ? Nuke the computer, reinstall your OS, grab your last clean backup and move on.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You mean antivirus ? How do you know that your computer is clean and not infected by a dormant trojan waiting and still not caught by antivirus vendor ?
    I'm not an expert but backup is the best solution. You have a virus ? Nuke the computer, reinstall your OS, grab your last clean backup and move on.
    You have a lot to learn little one.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Either you are a hacker or your profile is corrupt. Trying to check you profile give a system message "This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view." It has been reported to the administrator.

You have a lot to learn little one.
    All Right Then, Keep Your Secrets !
    But real backups are still important.

Either you are a hacker or your profile is corrupt. Trying to check you profile give a system message "This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view." It has been reported to the administrator.
    Why would a hacker reply on the forum ?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

All Right Then, Keep Your Secrets !
    But real backups are still important.

Why would a hacker reply on the forum ?
    Hi Hart,
    Apparently your profile isn't finished. Probably forum problem and admin should fix it.
    Meanwhile would you tell us something more about your background and experience.
    You can start a new thread to introduce yourself here:
    https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/newbie-check-in-/
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.