Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Help: PC for playing 4k movies

Re: Help: PC for playing 4k movies

Okay, I have it all figured out. I changed the video playback bit rate on the Shield from Auto (default) to 128MB. That did the trick. So Jellyfin will now play 4K lossless video and Atmos sound. I also learned a few things from you guys. Thanks for all the input. That knowledge will come in handy in the future. Thanks again.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I have a lot to say but first I want to confirm a few things.

I will say that I found a way to get the lossless 4K movies to play using KODI on the NVIDIA Shield. It looks and sounds great. However, I want to use JellyFin but no luck on that front.
    Never give up the shield^^

I'm not familiar with JellyFin - guess the internal player might need some tweaks, not shure if there are advanced settings avalable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Never give up the shield^^

I'm not familiar with JellyFin - guess the internal player might need some tweaks, not shure if there are advanced settings avalable.
    I'm gonna have to plead ignorance on a lot of this. I wasn't familiar with codecs and I didn't have some of them enabled. The other problem, as I mentioned, is that I changed the bit rate from Auto to 120MB.

Stupid me, I was thinking I needed to build a gaming PC to play lossless video. Live and learn.

I'm gonna have to plead ignorance on a lot of this. I wasn't familiar with codecs and I didn't have some of them enabled. The other problem, as I mentioned, is that I changed the bit rate from Auto to 120MB.

Stupid me, I was thinking I needed to build a gaming PC to play lossless video. Live and learn.

If you want to rip a bluray medium without re-encode there should be not bitrate option at all because the tool is suppose to rip the original stream without changing it.

Have you tried this tool for blurays? MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD

If you want to rip a bluray medium without re-encode there should be not bitrate option at all because the tool is suppose to rip the original stream without changing it.

Have you tried this tool for blurays? MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD

I have Make MKV. It's cool because it's free. However, it's kind of a pain in the ass because you have to pick out the correct title (English, French, ect) and the correct subtitles. There's a much better one that I paid for and it's called DVD Fab. It automatically select the correct title and subtitles. It also does much more than rip to MKV. It does every format you can think of.

As far as me changing the bit rate...the bit rate for was playback to the best of my understanding. This setting was in Jelly Fin, not the software I used to rip the DVD. I'm ripping the DVD via MKV passthru. It takes about 30-minutes to rip a 1080p disk. It takes about 2 hours to rip a 4k Dolby Atmos disk.

I have Make MKV. It's cool because it's free. However, it's kind of a pain in the ass because you have to pick out the correct title (English, French, ect) and the correct subtitles. There's a much better one that I paid for and it's called DVD Fab. It automatically select the correct title and subtitles. It also does much more than rip to MKV. It does every format you can think of.

As far as me changing the bit rate...the bit rate for was playback to the best of my understanding. This setting was in Jelly Fin, not the software I used to rip the DVD. I'm ripping the DVD via MKV passthru. It takes about 30-minutes to rip a 1080p disk. It takes about 2 hours to rip a 4k Dolby Atmos disk.
    Can't really make a sense of a bitrate setting in any sort of playback-related topics but hey - who cares as long as it does the trick

I heard of DVD fab, seems more user friendly but I guess you must make shure and find the right settings in order to avoid any re-encoding.
    From what google tellst me "mkv passthrough" seems to be the proper setting:

MKV is not really a video format, it's acting like a "container" for video, audio and subtitles streams wich can be encoded in different video/audio formats.

Back in the days I ripped and copied a lot of DVDs I got from an online rental services that offered some kind of "flatrate" service for a few bucks/month.
    Due to budget reasons I used a tool called "DVD shrink" to fit the movies on standard writable DVD mediums.
    For me - in hindsight - it wasn't really worth the effort since I haven't seen most movies more than once and over the time
    noone including me want's to watch SD quality on a like 65inch screen. So I gifted most of that stuff and the rest ended up in the bin.

Can't really make a sense of a bitrate setting in any sort of playback-related topics but hey - who cares as long as it does the trick

I heard of DVD fab, seems more user friendly but I guess you must make shure and find the right settings in order to avoid any re-encoding.
    From what google tellst me "mkv passthrough" seems to be the proper setting:

MKV is not really a video format, it's acting like a "container" for video, audio and subtitles streams wich can be encoded in different video/audio formats.

Back in the days I ripped and copied a lot of DVDs I got from an online rental services that offered some kind of "flatrate" service for a few bucks/month.
    Due to budget reasons I used a tool called "DVD shrink" to fit the movies on standard writable DVD mediums.
    For me - in hindsight - it wasn't really worth the effort since I haven't seen most movies more than once and over the time
    noone including me want's to watch SD quality on a like 65inch screen. So I gifted most of that stuff and the rest ended up in the bin.

I'm definitely no expert on MKV...I called it a "format" because that's what I read. I've heard it called a format and container, so who knows. Just glad it's working. I was getting frustrated.

What Is MKV Format (Matroska Video File)?

Matroska Multimedia Container is a free and open container video format that allows you to store an unlimited number of video, audio, image or subtitle tracks in a single file.

MKV is a universal format for storing multimedia content such as movies and TV shows. Although it is similar to other containers such as AVI, MP4, and Advanced Systems Format (ASF), its specifications are fully open and its implementation consists mostly of open source software.

MKV is supported by a non-profit organization called Association Loi 1901. It is a royalty-free standard provided under the GNU L-GPL license. MKV analysis and playback libraries are provided under the BSD license for commercial enterprise use.

The Matroska file extension is .mkv for video (which may also contain subtitles or audio), .mk3d for stereoscopic video, .mka for audio-only files, and .mka for subtitles only.

Yeah mkv worked fine fine for me for many years and was (and probably is) kind of a standard in the "warez" scene but also nice for legit stuff of course

Do you keep and store all your rips? Must be quite a nice fileserver you have there.

Yeah mkv worked fine fine for me for many years and was (and probably is) kind of a standard in the "warez" scene but also nice for legit stuff of course

Do you keep and store all your rips? Must be quite a nice fileserver you have there.
    I'm using an old Dell Optiplex with an I7 CPU/8GB Ram and I have a 4TB external hard drive for storing the rips. On a side note, the new generation for Intel processors no longer support Blu Ray playback or ripping. Something about being a security risk. I think.

Intel 11th and 12th Gen chips can't play 4K blu-rays

NewsBy Hope Corrigan
    published January 17, 2022

By removing the troublesome SGX support, it's also removed 4K blu-ray playback.

Intel’s new chips have removed the ability for PCs to play 4K blu-ray discs, but it does seem like a move that’s mostly for the best. As unsurprising as ever, it seems DRM is once again causing problems for users who just want to play content they’ve already paid for.

As explained by Bleeping Computer, blu-ray discs have digital rights management in place that requires support for SGX, otherwise known as software guard extension. Intel’s SGX is hardware-based memory encryption that’s baked into the chips. It allows code to be separated into different levels of security making some more private than others. As Intel is removing SGX from it’s 11th and 12th Gen desktop processors, they will no longer be compatible with these discs for 4K playback.

According to Intel’s data sheets for 11th and 12th generation chips, SGX has been moved to deprecated technologies, meaning it will no longer be used. And sure, it sounds like a bit of a kick in the teeth for anyone wanting to play their 4K blu-rays on a PC but the move makes a lot of sense due to how bad SGX could sometimes be.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 03-20-2024 at 01:44 PM.

FYI: There's a couple of reasons that I rip my movies.

a.) it's the best quailty you can get, bar none. I have a high end laser projection TV and Marantz 7.2.4 surround sound system. I have a lot invested in my system so naturally I want the best quality audio and video source. The streaming services suck. Big time.

b.) Jellyfin is simply amazing. It's like going to Netflix where all the movies are displayed with metadata and thumbnails of the movies. It's very clean and I love the layout. It does too much to list but it's great.