Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Re: Help: PC for playing 4k movies

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    FYI: There's a couple of reasons that I rip my movies.

a.) it's the best quailty you can get, bar none. I have a high end laser projection TV and Marantz 7.2.4 surround sound system. I have a lot invested in my system so naturally I want the best quality audio and video source. The streaming services suck. Big time.

b.) Jellyfin is simply amazing. It's like going to Netflix where all the movies are displayed with metadata and thumbnails of the movies. It's very clean and I love the layout. It does too much to list but it's great.

Pretty weird that modern cpu's won't handle bluray playback / have DRM issues - perhaps AMD will do better...

Nice setup, I was into home cinema too and had a calibrated projector and optimized room and canvas I build myself. At that time it was FullHD but the downside was the black levels I got with my setup. As a big scifi fan I like my space as black as possible After moving into another place I decided to buy a large tv - of course the image isn't as big compared to what I got before but the quality, especially contrast is far superior compared to my old setup. I kept my surround system though since I like proper surround sound coming from discrete speakers and don't won't to use these soundbars with fake surround.

Yeah the image quality in streaming is inferior and very often there is just AC3+ audio available but it's kind of OK enough to me watch on my 65inch TV.
    I think a bigger problem for netflix & co. is that more and more productions are just crap and a waste of time to watch.

I never would pay the full price for these services, I registered my accounts via VPN at "poor countries" like India wich offer Netlix & Co. way cheaper than in the Euro area.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Help: PC for playing 4k movies

Re: Help: PC for playing 4k movies

Quick follow up. It turns out the main problem I was having trying to use an old Dell Optiplex as a movie server via an external hard drive was it only offered USB 2.0. Slim actually suggested this may be the problem so credit where credit is due.

I had another PC laying around that has USB 3.2 and that works perfectly. But, man, the 4k movies max out CPU usage. It's up in the high 90's but the movies never stutter or buffer. Maybe one day I'll buy or build a newer PC that is more modern but for now this works fine.
    Growth is found only in adversity.