Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    "Specified Port Cannot be Added. The Request is not Supported"

I'm trying to add a Muratec MFX-1330 GDI driver to a Windows 2003 Server, but the installer doesn't add the printer automatically. When I go to manually create the port (Muratec HTTP Port), it tell's me "Specified Port Cannot be Added. The Request is not Supported".

It only happens on the customer's server - I can do it successfuly on a WS2003 installation on a VM.

Anyone has a clue on why this happens?
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts DallasTech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    I'm trying to add a Muratec MFX-1330 GDI driver to a Windows 2003 Server, but the installer doesn't add the printer automatically. When I go to manually create the port (Muratec HTTP Port), it tell's me "Specified Port Cannot be Added. The Request is not Supported".

It only happens on the customer's server - I can do it successfuly on a WS2003 installation on a VM.

Anyone has a clue on why this happens?
    Are you trying to install this remotely via remote desktop, etc? These drivers have to be installed locally. That is the only issue I know of. If you have the serial number 1-800-347-3296 is their support number. They are normally a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasTech View Post
    Are you trying to install this remotely via remote desktop, etc? These drivers have to be installed locally. That is the only issue I know of. If you have the serial number 1-800-347-3296 is their support number. They are normally a great help.
    Indeed I was. But I found a workaround: went to the registry and added the port manually - I don't have it handy right now, but if anyone needs to know how, I'll fire up my laptop and tell here what I did.

Thanks for your feedback!
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Senior Tech 100+ Posts DallasTech's Avatar
    I would be interested in seeing how you made that port manually. I have run into similar problems where creating the port would come in very handy.

DallasTech, I know it's late and I never noticed your post asking for this, so I figure that, one year later, you no longer need it.

Anyway, since I stumbled on this problem again, here's my solution:

I installed the driver locally on a virtual machine and then searched the registry for the port with the IP I had assigned to it. Then I exported that key to a .ref file and then, when needed, I just edit the file in notepad to give it the wanted IP, and import it back to the registry. Then, after restarting the spooler service, I have the port available to be selected on the printer properties.

Here's the .ref file for WS2003 - I'm guessing it's the same for XP and other more recent versions, but if it isn't, you've got a rough description on how to do it on your OS of choice. Please note that this is a Muratec port (and not a bh130f) since there are no Konica Minolta drivers for WS2003 - check this post here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mascan42

Ibid